Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt in the Huskee Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt in the Huskee Style

It's a balmy 17°F with little to no wind. The smoker is heating up and the butts should be on in about 10 minutes. Check back in a few hours for progress and pix. DEW

This post is coming from the future...I just realized the site was on EST

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol.

Are you wrapping at the stall? I do, and I recommend it with the smallies.

Comment

Yes. That's why I'm calling it "in the Huskee style".

Comment

You said an hour into the stall, right?

Comment

Butts went on at 8:45. Using hickory and a couple of kingsford blue briquettes for smoke. Smoker temp is holding nicely in the 240's. IT of the butts is skyrocketing at the moment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	On the smoker.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	50534

DEW

Comment

• W.A.
            W.A. commented
            Editing a comment
            Dew, you're missing a tray of beans below those

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! You're probably right, but I'm not really a bean guy, although, I had the "Burnt Ends Baked Beans" at Mighty Quinn BBQ in NYC and they were awesome. I cleaned the little bowl.

• W.A.
            W.A. commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not a fan of sweet baked beans either. I use Goya brand "pink beans" with cilantro. Add some beer and spices. Not added sugar and they taste great under BBQ.

Looking good dew

Comment

Yeah, it takes 20-30 min or so to recognize the stall, then I let it go another "while" to get more smoke and bark. That "while" I would estimate might be an hourish total in most cases. The last coupla butts I did last week I let them go longer and I felt it dried them out a bit much. There's no right or wrong way. Having a 1 lb hunk you may not want to go too long after you recognize the stall, however let it be known I don't run an electric, the humidity dynamics are way different. I only know how they behave on my stickburner with massive airflow.

Exciting stuff.

Comment

Got it. I have left the vent wide open with an empty water pan to try to keep the humidity down for bark formation. We'll see how it goes. But the big piece is already at 122°F after an hour and 45. I know things will slow down when the stall hits but it seems too fast, that said, both pieces are going up at a similar rate which I know since I have the smoker's built-in probe stuck in the little guy.

Comment

3 hours and 15 mins in, the IT on the bigger piece is 149°F. It has been rising noticeably slower for the last 1/2 hour or so. I suppose it is getting ready to stall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150109_120644.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	50570
                Last edited by Dewesq55; January 9, 2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

It is starting to look good. The bark is forming and you are doing a great job and should have some great PB's when you are finished.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Barry. From your lips, etc. and so forth. . .

Four hours into the cook exactly and we are officially stalled at 151°F. It's been holding there for about 30 minutes. Another 30 mins and I will wrap them. Temp is pretty even for this cooker - between 230° and 240° most of the time. Never going below 225° except the last time I opened the door to take a picture.

Comment

Are you using your Barrister DEW's rum sauce on these? Have you ever tried Meathead's Columbia Gold? Mmm, if you like a Carolina mustard-style sauce it's great.

Comment

4 and 1/2 hours in. They have good bark (Harry Soo scratch test) except for one spot on one piece which had a little dip where the juices pooled. They are separately wrapped in a double layer of HD foil and back on. I moved the MAV probe to the smaller piece with the smoker's built in probe in the larger one since the smoker probe I can't read with out going outside. I don't want to over cook the small guy.

Huskee, do you take them right to 203°F and then cambro? Or do you pull them off a degree or 2 below that?

DEW

Comment

I usually shoot for the magical 203 mark, but 195-205 is ok so a degree or two would be of very little significance.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here