Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made bacon in cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made bacon in cast iron

I need some help. My favorite way to cook eggs in the morning has been to fry up some bacon in the cast iron pan, take it out, and cook the eggs in the bacon grease that is in the pan.

However, any time I try to do that with the bacon I've cured myself using the classic bacon review from here, it seems like the sugar from the bacon cure stays behind with the grease and helps to chemically bond the egg to the pan. I tried again this morning (hence the post) at a lower temp than normal but still same problem. No, my pan doesn't have great seasoning, but usually it is pretty non-stick, and it's been a hard fought battle to get it where it is because my wife hates the smell of oil at high temperatures.

is there a different cure recipe you've used with less sugar, or a different way of cooking the bacon in cast iron, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

TYIA

Here's a recipe with only a couple Tbs of sugar in it. It's going to taste a bit different, but I've made it and liked it: https://recipesbymissy.wordpress.com...-bacon-savory/

Obviously you'll be replacing the oven and liquid smoke method with putting it in your smoker to 150F or so as usual.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      It's definitely one of Ruhlman's.

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I was hoping you would chime in since I know you know a lot about curing and different recipes. I think I've seen you post about Ruhlman before. Thank you!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      PBCDad - Ruhlman really knows his stuff when he talks about curing etc. Similar flavor to Meathead, Kenji and the Whitting-Fearingsly guy who does The River Cottage Meat Book. They all talk about the how and the why.

You could try cookin' the bacon in a 1/2 sheet pan in the oven and then pour the grease into the CI pan to cook the eggs. I do suggest lining the sheet pan with either parchment or foil to prevent the bacon from sticking to the pan. Temp is not critical, but the higher the temp, the easier it is to over cook the bacon. I'd try 375* - 400* to start and lower to 350 when it starts to brown.

Comment

Do the bacon in the oven as RonB suggested, (only i start at 350 max to avoid burning the sugars). Also cook it on a cooling rack over foil in a sheet pan. Pour the bacon fat in your fry pan or better yet, just use butter or EVOO for your eggs! I'll frequently do that because I like maple bacon but maple eggs, not so much!

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya got that right - I didn't think about sugar in the bacon 'cause I don't like sweet bacon.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here