Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cured/Smoked Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured/Smoked Chops

I'm looking for advice on making some cured and smoked (or perhaps brined and smoked) pork chops. Had some once - cured, I think, and they were delicious.
    I'm wondering which would be the best way to go . . .

I assume using Cure #1 would produce a bit more of a 'hammy' flavor. If I was going to do that, could I simply use the wet cure calculator to determine the amount of cure to use?

If I'm going to hot smoke, bring up to safe temperatures within 4 hours, and eat immediately can I brine without a cure? It seems there are lots of recipes that use a brine that don't include cure.

You can use the latter approach safely. I'm not sure whether the classic "German smoked chops" involve a cure or not.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Most of the 'German smoked shops ' recipes I've seen involve cure #1. Either way - brining without a cure, or with, would you recommend the rough figure of 1/2" brine/cure penetration per day as a guide to how long the chops need to be in liquid?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems reasonable (can't speak from experience with chops). Assuming an equilibrium cure, it will get what it needs and longer won't harm anything.

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

You could also use a Canadian bacon cure on a whole boneless pork loin then cut and smoke "chops" as thick as you like. You can just bribe without the cure if you wish but won’t likely get what you’re looking for. No reason not to "cure" if that’s the flavor you’re looking for!

Comment

Welcome from Texas, never has that style but sound good. Let us know, with pics, how they turn out !!

Comment

Welcome b_winter

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here