Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gives, no bacon sub-forum?? Guess I will just post my question here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gives, no bacon sub-forum?? Guess I will just post my question here

Trying my first go of making homemade bacon on my PBC. So far I have purchased a 9 pound belly at Costco, cut it into thirds and followed Meatheads maple bacon cure technique. I have dutifully massaged and rotated each bag at least once a day to make sure all the goodness continues to get mixed in the curing bag. This afternoon will mark day three in the cure so I had planned to fire up the PBC after work and toss them on the grill grate.

The PBC website talks about cross cutting the fat layer so it renders but they suggest hooking the meat till 160 then faux cambro to 190. If I want to make bacon I can just bring it to 155ish on the grill grate and stop there (about 2 hours?). At that point I can safely eat some of the edges?

In the past I have enjoyed cooking store bought bacon on the PBC at the end of other cooks, any reason I should not take a hunk of the pork belly inside to slice and then return to the PBC to crisp it up? Thanks, in advance cant wait for 9 pounds (+-) of bacon!!

Interested I’m thinking I like to try

Comment

If you're making bacon, no need to cross cut the fat. The highest temp I would take it to is about 145 internal, then get it in the freezer to help stop any carry over cooking. You can leave it in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm the slab up, which will make it way easier to slice.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And yes, at that point you can eat not just the edges.

Originally posted by SwampDonkeyzBBQ View Post
      If you're making bacon, no need to cross cut the fat. The highest temp I would take it to is about 145 internal, then get it in the freezer to help stop any carry over cooking. You can leave it in the freezer for about 15 minutes to firm the slab up, which will make it way easier to slice.
      Perfect, thanks!!

Comment

And don't forget to soak after brining. It will be way to salty if you don't.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a rinse for bacon, not a soak.

You will also find that it likely won't get as "crisp" as store bought bacon. Way better tasting but not as crisp... After slicing cook (re-cook) it gently so as to not scorch the sugars. Enjoy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          And don't forget to soak after brining. It will be way to salty if you don't.
          How long does it need to soak? Meathead mentions a rinse in the post cure instructions.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            You don’t soak it...just give it a good rinse.

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually do an hour soak partially because my wife does not care for anything that's even remotely "salty". I also use a different cure recipe that involves a 6-7 day cure.

• Brisket Syndicate
            Brisket Syndicate commented
            Editing a comment
            DWCowles I also find that a rinse is all that is necessary.

I also let mine air dry in the fridge, on a cooling rack, for 24 hours before I smoke it.

Comment

OK all - sorry, I was thinking pastrami...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here