Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Freeze Pulled Pork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Freeze Pulled Pork?

Getting ready to put BGE in storage as we will be between houses for a couple of months. I am responsible for bringing about 15 lbs of pulled pork to our annual family beach week. Can I smoke and freeze? Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to The Pit Ed. Yes you can freeze pulled pork. I would portion it and then freeze. If you have a vacuum sealer, you can go directly from the freezer to a pot of hot water - not boiling, then serve.

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on RonB and his comments

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      I do. 1 lb portions, vacuum sealed. A great thing to have in the freezer, all kinds of uses.

I do all the time. After smoking I pull, vacuum seal and freeze. It will last for months.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana!

Yes you can! If you wrap the PB while cooking I recommend saving the Pig Juice that is left in the foil when you unwrap it... then put some of that juice back into the freezer bags with the pulled pork when you freeze it.

Comment

Yes, I do this a lot. It's best if you use a vacuum sealer, but a ziploc bag with the air squeezed out will be fine, short-term.

Comment

Yep all above are correct. I portion out, vacuum seal with bbq sauce, and freeze. When I’m ready, I either sous vide it or microwave it. Pot of hot water on stove will also work.

Comment

As everyone else says, pulled pork freezes very well. I vacuum pack it, and when I open the bags, you can still smell the smoke practically! I do not freeze with BBQ sauce. I reheat in the vacuum bag, either in the microwave or drop it in a pot of boiling water. Don't try the boiling water trick with a zip lock bag though - it will melt!

Comment

Absolutely! If you want to be super safe, make sure and chill it down quickly before freezing. I vacuum pack mine and immerse immediately in a sink of ice water. Then dry and throw into the freezer!

Comment

Here's a follow up question. I have just received a Food Saver vacuum sealer. Do I pull and immediately seal or is the meat too hot at that point?

MeatMonster
              jfmorris
              Steve B
              Steve R.
              scottranda
              Nate
              RonB

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                I usually pull than let it sit for about 1/2hr. Once the meat is pulled it cools down rather quickly. At that point I portion it out and seal..
                Good luck with your cook.

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly I pull it, serve it, eat it, and eventually get around to bagging and freezing...

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Good information everyone! Thanks!

I freeze pulled pork all the time. It's perfect for freezing. I'm doing about 125 pounds of pork butts this weekend for upcoming grad parties. My pork butts sit overnight in the Cambro and get pulled the next morning. They are still warm but not too hot to be vac sealed. I use a chamber vac and seal in about 3 to 4lb bags of pulled pork. Label it and straight to the freezer.

Comment

Freezes wonderfully. I don't freeze it with any bbq sauce but I do vacuum seal it in portions. My favorite is to add a pouch or 2 to some baked beans on my next cook. Soooo good.

Comment

To me at least, there's a significant improvement in vacuum sealed food stored in the freezer versus regular food storage bags. Back when I started around 25 years ago, I was rushing to give away brisket because of the results from freezing in a regular storage bag.
                  I cut quart size bags in half to make individual serving sizes for adding to things like instant rice noodle soup.

Comment

I made nachos for dinner using pulled pork I smoked this weekend. I made the chips from corn tortillas, and made a batch of pico de gallo using some hatch chilis. Great use of the pork.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Bruce R
                      Bruce R commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome looking nachos. What do you fry your tortillas in?

Looks/sounds mighty tasty Randy-Phx

Comment

I sprayed them Pam, cut into 6ths, and baked them at 400 for 8 - 12 monutes. I watched them cook and they might as well been deep fried.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here