Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Bacon Curing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Bacon Curing Question

At the risk of asking yet another bacon curing question, I'm going to do it anyway. I have a slab of pork belly that is just shy of 12 pounds (gotta love Costco). Would it be best to cut this into 3 pound slabs and follow the recipe/calculator or is it OK to cure either the entire slab at once or maybe only split it into two slabs?

It shouldn't make a difference, you can cure the whole thing at once. Usually you have to trim the ends anyway because they are too salty. I normally cut into 3 lb slabs but only because I use 1 gallon ziplock bags, and 3 lbs fits nicely.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree as well. Just a matter of what's most convenient.

Agree. 3lbs slabs fit perfectly into gallon zipper bags.

Comment

Thanks folks. That's pretty much what I thought but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts.

Comment

I usually split the Costco bellies in half into ~5 lb pieces. I have some 2 gallon zip-locs they fit in just fine. I think the fewer pieces you can cut it into the better. Fewer ends.

Comment

I do those all the time. I always cut it into three pieces.

Comment

3 pieces, the ends are the best part. I don’t square them up, they are kept on and the center cut bacon is given away

Comment

Yup, one, two or three... That'll do. Me, I cut them in two and use 2 gallon ZipLoc bags. Once cured and smoked, I then cut each 5-6# piece in half again cause that's what fits my slicer best (safest too). Whatever is easiest for you is what is best! Enjoy!

Comment

I got them into 4. That puts then just under 3 lbs each

Comment

The bellies I’ve bought from Costco, I’ve cut into three pieces simply because that’s what fits into the ziploc or foodsaver bags and that’s what fits comfortable on the rack of my smoker (14.5” wsm)

Comment

well i just ordered curing salt and plan to pick up a pork belly from costco on saturday. i finally succumbed to reading bacon threads. lol.

Comment

• snowswamp
                      snowswamp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ditto. I have to try. I have my pork belly in the fridge and I’m just waiting on the Prague to be delivered. 😀

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine went into cure mode on sat night 😁

• snowswamp
                      snowswamp commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mine went in the cure tonight. I was able to get it into a long Foodsaver bag. I couldn’t really vac it since it would suck out the wet cure. Next time I’ll portion it up into ziplocks.

I usually cut the pork belly into smaller pieces (approx. one pound or so) because then there are more of the flavorful end pieces, which are my favorite.

Comment

I don't buy pork bellies, I raise them. I cut them to fit a 10x13 Vacmaster bag so I can vacuum seal them. Post 51.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here