Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental 3-2-1 spicing approach on spares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimental 3-2-1 spicing approach on spares

Hi all, been a while since I posted anything I thought was worthwhile.

Today I smoked some spares but did the rub/wrap/glaze a bit differently. I did the usual dry-brine overnight, but used a basically peppery rub on top of that about an hour before putting them in the smoke. When the time came to wrap (and I judge that by when the fat is starting to render) I made a braising liquid (since that is what the wrap is, be honest) with about 2 parts melted butter, 1 part molasses, and 1 part Balsamic vinegar. I poured some of this on the top side and added a good layer of my savory spices: cinnamon and garlic powder, and a little more heat via cayenne.

When I unwrapped a couple of hours later I saved all the drippings in a sauce pan and put the ribs back in the smoke. I added about a third as much apple cider vinegar to the pan along with a couple of tablespoons of molasses and maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons of crushed pineapple with juice. I also added a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. I brought this to a boil then lowered to a simmer and let it reduce by about half before brushing on the ribs which had been in the smoke again for about a half hour. I gave the ribs another 15 - 20 minutes to let the glaze set.

My goal was a sweet and sour glaze with flavor layers under it, i.e peppery in the rub, and savory in the braise. Needless to say I was pleased with the end result with regard to both flavor and texture.

Edit: The 3-2-1 method says to wrap after 3 hours in the smoke. That is a good rule of thumb but I want to wrap when the fat is just beginning to render which seems to be somewhere around 155F - 165F, which also seems to be when the "stall" kicks in when doing a pork butt. Obviously the exact time this happens depends on the temp you are cooking at. My rig tends to run between 250F - 275F, especially in the summer here in Vegas. So I look for pockets of moisture on the surface as shown below in the top photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180506_150114.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	495920
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180506_182200.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	495870
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20180506_180053.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	495871
    Last edited by boftx; May 6, 2018, 11:17 PM. Reason: Added photo to show when I wrap

Very nice indeed.

Comment

Wondering where you went.... welcome back

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Been around, just nothing really that new to talk about for BBQ. Been honing my inside kitchen skills. Let's face it, how many times can one post pics of a perfect brisket or butt or ribs?

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        boftx , I understand.

Great lookin' ribs.

Comment

The flavour combos you mentioned sound great, wish there was a way to get a taste!

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I've been concentrating on actual kitchen cooking lately and keeping my flavor combos simple. I honestly don't think that most people can discern more than 4 or 5 flavors at most at one time unless they are very pronounced.

Very nice indeed - food for thought. And thought for food!

Comment

If appearance has anything to do with taste, job well done. I trust your opinion. Now we have to see who tries their own taste test. Sounds great.

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I need to do better testing to see if my idea has merit, and I'm sure the Good Doctor can probably tell me up front if it does, but that wouldn't be any fun.

My thought is that even though the fat is rendering out during the braise (wrap) time, the meat is still absorbing some of the braising liquid, thereby picking up that flavor.

Those are some good lookin’ ribs!! I’ve actually gone the opposite direction by going bear for 4 hours then wrap in paper for one hour. I then may or may not glaze them, family likes them non-glazed. Go figure, different strokes...

Comment

Great looking ribs, like your technique.

Comment

Man those look good!

Comment

They look great! What’s your comment on the taste?

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The tenderness and bite was spot on. The taste was good, but could have used a bit more pineapple I think. I have a sweet and sour sauce recipe that I will use as the base for the glaze next time and add the wrap liquid with all that rendered fat to that instead of starting with the liquid and building from there.

What kind of pepper did you use in your "peppery rub"? ...I noticed you"added a few dashes of Tabasco sauce"...
                Last edited by The Marquis de Kampot; May 14, 2018, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't recall the exact mix, but there was some Montreal Steak seasoning and chipotle in it.

It’s great hearing from you again. The ribs look fantastic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here