Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston butt cook time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boston butt cook time

I have a Kamado Joe Classic II. I have cooked several Boston Butts and they all seem to take longer than they should. I cooked one today that was 7.5lbs. I cooked it between 240-250 and it took 14 hours to get to internal temp of 195. Any suggestions???

I use a vertical gasser, an offset stick burner, or a vertical charcoal smoker (gasser more than the rest). Always take 12-16 hours at 225.

Comment

I have one on my pellet grill currently. It's been on 11 hrs & 15 minutes at 225. The current IT is 172. I may turn up the heat to 250 or stay up all night. Mine is just over 8 lbs.

Comment

Raise the temperature up some. I usually smoke my butts at 275. I'll get to 200 in 10 hours or so.
        Butts are so forgiving in my opinion that 275 won't hurt them.

Comment

I raised the temp to 250. I'm just short of 14 hours. My IT is 189

Comment

Agreed with ssandy_561, butts are VERY forgiving. I also boat mine (place in a foil pan and cover with foil) when the fat is getting ready render out, about 150F - 160F which often corresponds with the stall. I want all that jus for my sauce. I usually add some butter and molasses at that time fir a braising liquid. My rig likes to run at about 250F - 275F and I start cooking a butt at around midnight.

Comment

275+ for a great butt cook.

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                +1

Bump that temp up as needed. It will still turn out great. 225 is vastly overrated when it comes to butts. Job #1 is to just get it done.

Comment

OK - I pulled the butt off the smoker. We pulled the pork and it tastes really good. However the crust from the rub was really hard, and we ended up discarding a lot of it. Does that normally happen with MMD?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Randy-Phx; May 6, 2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

However the crusr from the rub was really hard, and we ended up discarding a lot of it
                  That's the best part.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                    Randy-Phx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I thought it was tough. My wife had a hard time tearing it apart. Is it suppose to be that way?

Randy-Phx If you don't like the hard crust/bark you can wrap when the bark is well formed. I wrap around 180 IT with foil, then up the temp to 275-300 to finish (probe tender).

Comment

• Randy-Phx
                    Randy-Phx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I'll try that next time.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here