Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rib question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rib question

I made some bbr pork last night and while everyone really liked them, I wasn't totally happy.
    They were fall off the bone way to tender , no bite to them like I wanted, does that mean I just cooked them to long???
    they were on my wsm22 with full water pan for about 4.5 hrs about 250 the whole time. I did the exact setup last time and they came out perfect.... so probably just cooked to long???

Sounds like you msy have crutched too long. Did you crutch?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike yeah im fine lol

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter sure you are, quote from above,

"you msy have"

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Shoot that is every day for me... It 5 o clock somewhere everywhere. On the flip side Jerod Broussard I have some of your rub on a couple of beef back ribs in the smoker with some hot guts. Kids having spiral cut hotdogs.

It sounds like they were overcooked. How did you decide they were done? Did you use time or temp? Neither is very accurate. The bend test should work better. Go to youtube and search for "bend test for ribs". You should get lots of hits, and there are a lot of people putting out bad info there, so make sure you watch a bunch of videos before you decide how to do it.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Bend test don't work so well for baby backs. He said "bbr pork", so I'm assuming that's what he meant.

While I'm not a big fan of fall-off-the-bone (too slimey), I've yet to encounter a human or dog that didn't love them. Which leads me to believe that most people and canines don't give a crap about competition BBQ ribs.

And yes, over-cooking produces very tender juicy fall apart ribs. Under-cooking produces dry, tough ribs.

Comment

4.5 hours at 250* doesn’t sound overcooked at all. I usually go 5 or 6 at tha temp. Where they baby backs or spares?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        They were maybe "real" baby backs and not the loin back ribs with 1-2 lbs of extra loin (cheap) meat attached... Otherwise "thermometer error" ???

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        baby backs, I have cooked the same kind many times before with great success, I did the bend test after 4.5 hrs and I new I was in trouble when they fell apart!!! guess I need to check them sooner next time....

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I have noted my ribs don't go as long as others' here. If I leave ribs on my smoker at 230-250ish for more than 5 hours, you can't even eat them with the bones, they just fall apart when you pick them up. Usually 4 hours or so for us.

Dear God, please tell us you didn't boil them first. lol JK. That's odd. I don't cook BB ribs much unless I am going hot and fast for crunchy Rendevous style ribs. Did you have a water pan? Maybe the humidity was too high.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here