Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke times always off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke times always off

I know things vary, but each time I do pulled pork I start earlier than the time before. Today I started at 3am, it's now 7:30pm and I'm finally up to 192 degrees.

Should it really take this long at 225

Lots of factors....

what kind of cooker
    crutch or no crutch
    humidity, spritzing, mopping
    altitude
    so on and so forth...

Comment

Altitude, cooker and no crunch has not changed.

Temp inside did drop to 205 when we got a little rain but shot back up afterwards. That accounts for about 40 min.

The outside temp was a little cooler by 10 degrees

Don't know about humidity.

The pork was about 1lb larger than last time but the with of the cut that was the same and that is the thinner thickness.

Comment

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        What kind of Cooker and what size was the pork butt

Short answer. Yes it can take that long if you don’t wrap. That said at 192° your close.

Im doing an 8lbs bone in tomorrow. It’s going on at 4a. I’m not going to wrap it. I hope it’s ready for the cooler by 8p.

Cooking at 225°. All the rest is not relevant.

Nate. He’s not landing the space shuttle. He’s just cooking a butt.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 5, 2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

The size of the butt is always a major factor.... It is also a matter of composition. The amount of fat plays a factor. If there is more fat there is more evaporative cooling as that fat melts. Or something like that...

Comment

I've had butts take 10 hours (when crutched or when temperature ran hot in the smoker), and butts that took 18 hours. Most are in the 12-14 hour range, for a 7-8 pound butt, without crutching, at 225F.

Comment

Personally I’ve never seen a 8 lbs unwrapped butt cook at 225° that was done in 12 hours. But I’m at 600 feet above sea level so maybe there something to the altitude thing : )

Comment

Another reason that I cook at 275 F. At 225 F, it just takes so long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here