Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classic pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic pulled pork

I realized I haven't done pulled pork in ages. At the same time I visited my favorite beef/pork farmer, he has some outstanding meat. I smoked a small one (2.5 lbs) on the Weber kettle with the SnS. I used five chunks of oak wood for good smoke flavor.

This really was an easy cook. I ran it at 275° F (135° C), hotter than usual, but it all played out nicely. I didn't wrap, spray or spritz. I applied a custom rub which I'm experimenting with.

All in all it took 5 hours to get to 203° F (I checked for 'probe tender' too, but got to 203 first. I faux cambro'd it for 2 hours, then pulled and made a pita wrap.

Classic food, great meal. Will need to do this more often.

Here's the meat with rub applied

Click image for larger version

Name:	pulled_pork_raw.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	494828

This shot is taken approx 3.5 hours in, bark is developing nicely

Name:	pulled_pork_grill.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	494827

Here's the finished product, just dig in:

Name:	pulled_pork.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	494829

I'm hungry for pulled pork now! Good job!!!

Comment

I started my first "pork shoulder butt", as it says on the package. I trimmed and just finished adding salt for the dry brine. I mixed up Meathead's Memphis Dust last night. I'll post pictures tomorrow as the cook progesses.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Randy-Phx; May 6, 2018, 09:42 AM. Reason: Pork butt is rubbed and on the somker at 7 am.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool!

Looks great - I've got one brining now.

Comment

Two more in the making? Great minds think alike looking forward to seeing your cooks.

Comment

Looks delicious. If I was in Sweden I’d swing by!

Comment

Love some good pulled pork!

Comment

Nice work Henrik! This is on tap for me tomorrow!

Comment

Nice cook. Looks fantastic, and I realize I have not done this for a while either.

Comment

Question... does a cambro session add anything to the butt? Or is it merely a means to store your butt at temp until dinner time? I understand for a brisket, rest is ideal, and resting without loss of heat is ideally ideal. But for butts, I fear bark-softening if cambroed.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The bark will soften some, but so will the meat. The best one I ever made was held in the kitchen oven at 150 for about 4 hours, out of necessity because of the timing involved with that one. Melt in your mouth tender.

• DeusDingo
                    DeusDingo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i never cambro my butts. i don't feel like it does anything for me, but i also cook for a VERY long time. henrik did a small, fast, hot cook which might not have made it tender enough so cambro helps that. if you cook for a long time, your pork might get done at 195, if you cook hot and fast it might not even be done at 203. i think it depends on how you are cooking it

• Buck Flicks
                    Buck Flicks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That makes sense, DeusDingo.

looks tasty! do we get the rub recipe when you are done?

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hmm, that depends :-) I'm creating a commercial rub, still finalizing the details.

I just cooked 2 10 pounders, 2 slabs ribs, and 2 chicken fajita towers this weekend for my Wife's Cinco de Mayo party. Turned out great! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_183128.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	496549Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_163443.jpg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	496550Click image for larger version

Name:	20180505_135737.jpg
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	496551

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with Henrik, what in the world is a chicken fajita tower? Is it marinaded chicken stacked on a stick?

• PaynTrain
                    PaynTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chicken fajita towers will change your life!! It allows the outside to quickly seal up, and keeps all the sauce between the chicken layers to stay and absorb. I have done this 3 times now for guests, and it has been a smash every time. I run 400 on the BGE for between 1.25 and 1.50 hours. Recipe link is here, let me know what you think!! Post continued on next comment......

• PaynTrain
                    PaynTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh also, the third time I figured out a trick to the tower staying upright!!! I cut 1" cedar into roughly 4"x4", and drilled a hole in the middle, that fit a chopstick tightly. Cover in foil, put peppers and onions in Weber pan, and rock and roll!!!!

I want feedback fro all who try this!!!

It looks like that to me.

Comment

Henrik I took your suggestion about cutting the butts in half for more bark when I did 2 this past weekend. Tuned out great. It will be the way I do them from now on. The problem is that there are only 3 of us eating it so a butt lasts a few meals. Freeze what we don't eat which means that 1 butt can last 1-2 months. So only get about 4 cooks a year if I do 2 butts each cook.

Comment

• Henrik
                      Henrik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Invite some people over for a pork fest every now and then. That should help you with the leftovers :-)

• JimLinebarger
                      JimLinebarger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a good idea!

Solid!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here