Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking 2 butts at once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking 2 butts at once

Cooking 2 pork butts and a brisket tomorrow night for a party here Saturday. My propane smoker takes about 16 hours at 215 for that. I am cooking these on a new electric smoker. So suggestions or tips appreciated.

Reckon I'd allow more time, but would also like to know what kinda 'new lectric smoker' yer talkin bout?
    It'll help others to give ya some expert experience!
    I'm jus here fer entertainment, until they arrive

Comment

I would also up the temperature to 225 or so, not 215. That will save a little time. Butts are good anywhere from 225 to 275 in my experience. They are very forgiving.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        agree

Yeah I'd second the temperature consensus, I have zero issues whatsoever cooking butts in the 250-275 range, which saves a couple hours of cook time

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely!!! Kick the temp up to 250-275! Will still take plenty long time and won’t hurt the cook at all! Good luck!

Agreed, jfmorris UncleFester ...
      I missed th 215° thing, while tryin to whip through today's posts...
      I utilize th "UncleFester Zone", or often higher, temp wise!
      Even if it creeps summat higher than 275°, no worries:
      They are very forgiving.
      Did I mention that allowin extra time might be a great idea?
      Cookin fer an 'event' on an unknown cooker, I'd leave my dang self some wiggle room.

Comment

I've heard that electrics tend to cook much faster. Might want to keep that mind.

Comment

I don't know, my Masterbilt 30" used to go for 20 hrs routinely on a butt. That last 10 degrees or so would have me like a kid waking up too early on Christmas morning. Maybe something to do with holding so much moisture in there, I don't know. But I would definitely bump that temperature up quite a bit.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Could be that the ambient temperature thingy was way off. I never checked it independently with a digital thermometer. I was just happy to be eating homemade BBQ back then.

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            My cook shack also seemed to take longer than what other folks reported. Could be that 225 on the dial wasn't actually 225. I never checked it, just threw em in and let em go. But, a 18 - 20 hr cook wasn't uncommon.

• wustl-duck
            wustl-duck commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve had similar cook time issues with my Cook Shack at 225. Bump it up!!

Its a Masterbuilt 40" Bluetooth electric smoker. I have a friend who has one and I loved it. I normally use a Large propane smoker but venturing into something different. I will bump temp up to 225 and put brisket on other smoker so the new one wont be overloaded.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here