Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presa Iberico and Pluma Iberico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presa Iberico and Pluma Iberico

I'm a big fan of three special cuts from the Iberico pig: Secreto, Pluma and Presa. I have previously grilled Secreto, and this weekend I grilled the last two. If you get the chance, and you like pork, these are great cuts with wonderful flavor. Just add salt, nothing else.

The Iberico pig is well known for it’s meat quality. Iberico pork has lots of flavor and is generally well marbled. It's rich and fatty, appreciated by many, me included.

Pluma Iberico is a cut that is at the (front) end of the loin, by/above the shoulder blade. The muscle is called Rhomboideus, and there are two on each animal, one on each side. Pluma means feather. It is diamond shaped as its Latin name implies. It is rather thin, less than an inch, and is best cooked over direct heat. Grill it just like a skirt steak. Add salt, and you're done!

Raw Pluma, typically 10 oz

Click image for larger version  Name:	pluma.jpg Views:	1 Size:	366.1 KB ID:	493939

Grilled Pluma. Add salt, slice, and dig in! I aim for 133-136° F inner temp

Click image for larger version  Name:	pluma-done.jpg Views:	1 Size:	380.2 KB ID:	493938

Raw Presa, typically 15 oz

The Presa is located slightly lower than the Pluma, this cut is part of the shoulder. It is somewhere between 1 and 2 inches thick, slightly leaner than the Pluma. It has great flavor, but due to its thickness the best way to cook it is on indirect heat first, then sear. I cooked on indirect heat (240° F) for 30 minutes, then seared quickly. The name means "prey". Why, I don't know. Someone else in the pit could perhaps chime in?

Click image for larger version  Name:	presa.jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.6 KB ID:	493940

This cut is well marbled too, as you can see. The flavor is almost nutty, and even though there is a lot of fat, it is just rich.

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of the grilled presa, as I got into quite an argument with my wife. It felt it wasn't appropriate to take a break for photos...Either way, all is good now :-)

I served a gremolata with it, as I figured some acidity would go great with that rich pork.

Last edited by Henrik; May 3, 2018, 10:41 AM.

I've been trying to locate a rhomboideus on a pig, but all the anatomical illustrations I can find want to show me human beings, and I'm not really interested in cooking that.

Could the pluma be what's called "the money muscle"?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm, not sure. If I’m correct the money muscle is part of the chuck. This cut is located on top of the chuck, with a layer of fat in between.

Well I'm not sure about all the fancy lingo Henrik but that's some mighty good looking pig, I'd eat that any day !!!

Comment

I went to google and typed in Rhomboid Muscle pig and then clicked on images. Its on the back of the pig. I found a pic of a small cadaveric pig with a label. Tried to copy link, however, it didn't work and technology bumfuzzles me. Anyway, might be a way to see the approximate location. Corresponds roughly to humans.

Comment

• RobertC
        RobertC commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah! Thanks. So, it appears to be inserted into the scapula. Most pork butts in the US must cut across it.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here