Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

spring pulled pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spring pulled pork

nothing out of the ordinary. just delicious pulled pork.

My buddy is having a family reunion at his place and they are providing the food. he wanted me to make pulled pork for ~23 people. i, of course, said yes! i've never made a whole cook for a large group of people before so i'm a little nervous about it.

i started with 16 lbs of pork butt, trimmed down to 14lbs with both butts at ~7lbs. with the collective opinion that 1/4lb per person of cooked meat, assuming 50% loss, i will end up with 7lbs of final product which should feed 28 people. sound right?

i dry brined thursday, rubbed friday, put on the smoker on saturday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_174053.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	493478

Name:	20180426_174102.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	493479

Name:	20180427_171943.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	493486

Name:	20180428_064120.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	493484

did i mention i smoked brats too? made a great lunch

Name:	20180428_132714.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	493482

i have been using these "pucks" of hickory that my father in law cut me from one of his trees. it was really nice of him, but they are a pain to smoke with. they are shaped like large hamburgers (wide and thin) and they don't fit too great in my smoker, to the point that they are elevated above where i normally place my wood. this causes them to catch fire. out of the 6 that i used, 4 of them caught fire. i was getting pretty grumpy about it as my wife can attest to!

Name:	20180428_120643.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	493480

in the end everything worked out and it was great day. they went for 15 hours, unwrapped, took off at 198 and 201. no cambro. added some more dry rub back into the meat and some of the juices collected during the cook after it was shredded. the bark was awesome! i hope i made enough for my buddy's event, otherwise i have 2 more pork butts i could cook to add to this amount. i have time, his event isn't until about June 23rd. i have all the meat in a single roasting pan, saran wrapped and frozen. he wanted it this way, i offered to do it right before it but he didn't want the hassle.

Name:	20180428_213122.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	493483

Name:	20180428_213956.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	493481

Name:	20180428_220239.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	493485

Name:	20180428_221813.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	493487

my only question to you fine people is: how to best reheat 7lbs of pulled pork? leave it in the roaster and put it in the oven, 250 for like 3 hours? divide it up into crock pots? i do well reheating 1lb bags for myself, i've never had to do this much before so i am not sure what to tell him.

I think you're going to need more pork, personally. I would mix in some butter and juice and steam it for an hour or two before serving.

Comment

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      that does concern me. in your opinion, how much more do you think i will need? if i use 1/3 lb per person i get 7.6lbs, if i add 1 more pound that would cover that.

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have two more, I would cook two more. Then you're covered for certain sure! Way better to have leftovers than "left outs"!

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor well i'm not giving him enough for twice the number of people, i'm looking for something that is close to what he needs, just a little over. i do plan to cook the other 2 i'm just looking for a better number if people think what i have isn't enough

Great lookin' meat.

Comment

I would vacuum seal it if you can then freeze it. It keeps very well that way.

Comment

You probably have enough. You could weight the pork now and check. 4-5 ozs per person is a generous sandwich. If close, I would make extra in case more people show.

CRO is right. The best way to store and reheat pulled pork is vacuum packed and in the freezer. Reheat it in hot water in the packaging. Once smoked and pulled, I add about 1/3 to 1/2 Stick of butter and a little less than 1/4 cup of rub. I often put it in a cooler and use a sous vide circulatory reheat. The stove works great with a big enough stock pot.

Comment

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          i would reheat that way but not 7lbs at a time

So glad I remembered reading this thread and was able to find it again. My wife wants to have people from her hospital unit over... get this... June 23rd for ~25 people. She wants me to smoke pork butts, think I’ll grab a couple 8-10lbers and cut them in half and turbo smoke them that same day. Pretty sure 4 chunks will fit just fine on my 26” with SNS. I haven’t done this for a big crew like that either, should be fun. My biggest ? was how much meat to get so this thread was a big help. Good luck at the reunion! 👍🏻

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here