Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Annual Whole Pig Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the post. I'm five days away from my first pig roast. Rented a rotisserie spit for the occasion. I also bought a U-bolt from spitjack and will be using that as extra support. Based on your post I'll also use butchers twine to tie it off in 2-3 more places.

I'm surprised at the length of your cook. I'm also planning on a 50lb and everywhere I read indicated it should take around 1 hr per 10lbs so I was roughly planning on a 6-7 hour cook to get up to 170-180 degrees. Still not sure what temp I'm going to cook to. Any other advice you can give?

I also think I'm going to go NC style and chop up the whole pig and mix it all together (but saving the cheeks for myself!) but will probably make a game time decision.

Comment

Hi Shify,
      After I installed the u-bolts around the spit and up through the back I secured them on the outside with the straps. No problem after that.
      As far as cook time I started with a bed of charcoal on the bottom of my cooker and to that I added two whole weber charcoal chimneys that were going full speed. Added charcoal as needed. After about five hours I let the coals burn down so not to over cook the outside. That seemed to work pretty good, nice crispy outside without the over cook.
      Took us about 45 minutes to get the hog all set on the spit and that was on at 6am. It was about 4 or 5 when it was done.
      Had a blast and did consume some beer. Just over 50 people and everyone went home full.

Hope this helps.
      Halfglass

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here