Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux Cambo Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux Cambo Ribs

Is it okay to faux cambo ribs?
    Will resting wrapped take them past the done stage, or just cook them a little less done to account for carry over and softening?

I've never seen a reason to cambro ribs unless your holding them for serving. I would guess if your putting them in a Cambro you're putting them in there wrapped. I'm thinking they would get mushy. Ribs are best served right off the smoker.

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I was thinking about serving for a party. Do 8 racks in the PBC and then keep in the oven and serve as needed.
      I agree, they should be eaten right off the smoker, probably not a good party / catering item.

I have literally served hundreds of racks of ribs over the years at large events. Between my two smokers I can do almost 50 racks at a time. If I have to hold them at all it's in a steam table set to low. If I don't have the steam table with me I pan them and cover them in foil.

Comment

I have pulled ribs from my PBC a little early, put in a foil pan with a little apple juice or apple cider sealed it with foil and put in warm oven. Yes it may be a little moist but thats how the family likes them.

Comment

• gabulldog
        gabulldog commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same with PBCed ribs. Once the color is good, I'll hold them in the oven, pan covered with foil, or cook until tender.

I prefer to hold them in my belly.....

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        "He who hesitates is lost"!

Around twice a week I'll seek out a good local BBQ joint on Yelp when I'm traveling. Most of the time I'll see everything being held in a steam table, but they're not in there for long.

This recipe showed up in my inbox one time:

When the ribs are done smoking, wrap them in plastic wrap, then foil and put them into your refrigerator for a couple hours, or until you plan to serve them. This will give your ribs a similar tenderness and flavor to the real thing.
      Mmmm, leftovers!

Not really picking on Todd here, his specialty is replicating food served in large national chains. In this instance the "real thing" is ribs at Chili's.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I will point out that Todd did say "Whichever method you use, don’t soak the wood chips in water – they should be dry." So he earns a little cred for that!

It ain't gonna hurt you much. Maybe some softening to the exterior but that depends on moisture in the holding vessel.

If they were good when you pulled them they'll be good when you eat them.

Whatever makes your boat float! Go for it.

Comment

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Fat Bastard! A favorite!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          you beat me to it... I want my baby back baby back baby back...

My vote is "pretty damn good" is real close to "best"! Do what gotta do! It'll be at least "pretty damn good"!!!! Good luck!

Comment

My ribs are done early today. I'm faux cambroing them, nekkid and double-wrapped in foil, in a 140-160°F warming oven for two hours. Then I'm going to put them back on the WSCGC to firm them up and maybe sauce them (although I usually serve sauce on the side) just before serving. Never done this before, but there was a change in dinner plans. I'll let you know how they turn out.

The rack looked so good when I took them off, I almost couldn't resist gnawing down on a couple of the end ribs.

Kathryn

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            Why not??? Pitmaster privilege!!! Or call it "quality control"... Enjoy!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Well? How were they?

The ribs were fine. When I took them out of the foil, they were steaming but still had a good bark, so I sliced and served with sauce on the side. They were in the warming oven for 1 1/2 hours.

I used Meat Church's Honey Hog Hot rub and they had a nice heat level--noticeable but not overwhelming.

Kathryn

Comment

I'm starting something at my office called Bar-B-Cuesday. At least one Tuesday a month I'll do a cook during the day that the two people on my team can take home to their spouses for dinner. One person lives across the river in Cape Coral. Come tourist season traffic, i really needed to figure out a way for them to get the food safely home.

Faux cambrio to the rescue! The other day I experimented with a medium size Igloo chest holding a plastic container wrapped in two blankets. I put a temp probe into the center of the rack of babys. I kept an eye on the remote and it took over an hour to hit 140 degrees.

I could probably better the performance by cambroeing them outside instead of in the air conditioned inside.

And the babys turned out great as always with the PBC Jr.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here