Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday afternoon ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great looking ribs!

On that wood your friends brought - As both a brewer and a BBQ enthusiast, I would think that oak staves from a bourbon barrel are something more useful for wood aging of beer or wine in a glass carboy (to simulate being in a barrel) versus smoking. This is often done. I doubt much bourbon character would make it into the smoke, meaning it was really just a piece of charred oak for smoking purposes. Use it for brisket maybe, where oak is the typical wood.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      it IS a bit sweeter to me and my family.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The oak used for bourbon barrels is sweet - the char on the inside accentuates this and over time a lot of those flavors are imparted to the bourbon, along with the amber color.

A lot of the time on beef, I use Jack Daniels chunks/ chips. Yes it taste a bit different. A little sweeter to me and my wife. Went to the distillery a while back, and fund out something intriguing. the chips and chunks are from the barrels (charred oak) that they age them in. The pellets from the charcoal that they use in the Lincoln county process (hard rock maple that is set ablaze with JD shine). That explains the difference in flavor i got when I tried some pellets a while back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here