Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Louis Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Louis Ribs

Doing ribs on experiment tonight.... after reading lots of information on this site, I've changed my technique....

Method
    - rinsed and pat dried the vac pac St. Louis ribs
    - dry salt brine with way less than 1/2 t of salt per pound
    - sat in fridge for 1+ hour, uncovered
    - rubbed with my homemade spice mix combined with brown sugar, lightly
    -- usual suspects added to rub, plus many other dry green herbs, cinnamon, and coffee bean. I use brown sugar only in a 50/50 mix of sugar to spice mix.
    - smoked for about 4.5 hours in the electric smoker with intentions of finishing on the grill with a sauce.
    - ribs had a great color and passed the finished test per the site
    - I inspected and decided to forgo the grill finish and tested for taste, since this was my experiment
    - taste was great! Just enough salt, thanks, MH. Yeah, minimal crust, but I'm not too worried about that since it's a thinner piece of meat.
    - flavor was o-my-god good. Juicy, flavorful, not salty, some crust and dried spots on the ribs (a plus), meat was juicy and lots of flavor.

I've done both electric and charcoal/wood smoked pork ribs here on this site. Charcoal/wood had a better bark, but intruded on juicy meat flavor slightly. Electric was easier, since I didn't have to fuss over temperature. I sat outside and drank cold beer and played with all the pups.

​It's tough to say what's better. I think thicker rib cuts, like spare ribs benefit for char smoking, but thin style can be done on electric. I know I will get lots of opinions. Bring it! I am confident my electric AmeriQue can bring good tasting grub Love this site... let me know you're feedback.

Electric smoker? Well, all I can say is at least you like dogs.

Comment

I understand, boftx. If you haven't dabbled in electric, then raspberries to you... If you have compare & contrast your experiences. I've done both and char is best, especially for thicker cut ribs. But, thin cuts can be done on electric and taste good with technique Love your comments on this site... I know you are going to hammer me

Comment

Ok, I did put a charcoal briquette in the smoke box to improve on the smoke ring.... yep, it helped. Thanks, amazingribs.com site. I do have an elite electric smoker from CookShack in Oklahoma. It's an amazing piece of smoking equipment, but I do know about it's shortcomings.

Here's how I get around for some situations.... poultry.... smoke it, then get in on the gas grill on high heat for a few minutes to crisp up the skin... check. Pork roasts get finished on the gas grill in indirect mode, low & slow. I can get 225F on one side with the other on lowest heat. Sometimes I need to vent to top a quarter inch or so. I get better temp control on gas than charcoal. Yeah, that statement is controversial. I understand, but my charcoal rigs don't accelerate on temp control. Thinking of buying a better charcoal/wood rig.... I know yall have opinions

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess my biggest difference of opinion with MH is that I feel it has to involve wood somehow as the primary heat source if it's gonna be BBQ. That still leaves a lot of room for how that heat is used, though.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here