Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Pulled Pork

I was wondering what the procedure was for freezing pulled pork. I'm finishing a cook here pretty soon, then its going in the cambro. Can I bag it and freeze it after the cambro or should I let it cool after the Cambro, then freeze it? Or maybe it really doesn't matter?
    Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-John

I'm not sure whats the best way, but I let mine cool, vacuum seal it, then reheat later in a pot of simmering water. It's almost as good as when we ate it off the smoker.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Deuce. Do you let it cool in the cambro? or just let it sit in the foil at room temp?

• Deuce
      Deuce commented
      Editing a comment
      Cambro , like others said, it's safer

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly how i do it, but some times spray a little apple juice in the bag before freezing for added moisture and boil in bag to reheat.

I let it cool but not hang out to long. X2 on the vacuum seal.

Great tip on the boil in bag Deuce. thx

Comment

I let it cool but not hang out to long. This cuts down on condensation. X2 on the vac seal.
      Love the boil in bag tip Deuce. thx

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jon,
        Should I skip the Cambro?

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Give it 30 in the Cambro , pull and freeze Get it out of the danger zone as fast as you can.

I would still cambro, to me it is still cooking for those hours.

Comment

When I finally pull the PB off the smoker I let cool on the counter for4 20-30 minutes. I haven't used a cambro yet. Then I pull it and put it individual containers and freeze it. For the 2 -4 wks it stays in the freezer I have never had any freezer burn. I take it out of the freezer., let it defrost in the container sitting on the counter and then into a small sauce pan and either add a little water or sauce to heat it. I can see where vacuum bagging and heating in hot/boiling water will help it retain the flavor. I am always amazed how good mine taste when freezing and heating it. I need to consider upping my game to Jon and Deuce's method as I can see ZZI would have a better product.

Comment

I have vacuum sealed mine and then reheated in the microwave as per Foodsaver instructions - cutting open one corner. Comes out nice and moist.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            There were instructions with that thing? Guess I could try that!

Thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

Whether you rest it in a cambro for a while or not, don't let it come to room temperature before freezing. Once the internal temp drops below 140 degrees or so, it becomes a perfect environment for bacterial growth. The faster you get it from 140 down to below 40 degrees, the better. A couple hours in the cambro if you want to be sure the job is done, then straight to the freezer (stopping to pull it if you wish).

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
              Whether you rest it in a cambro for a while or not, don't let it come to room temperature before freezing. Once the internal temp drops below 140 degrees or so, it becomes a perfect environment for bacterial growth. The faster you get it from 140 down to below 40 degrees, the better. A couple hours in the cambro if you want to be sure the job is done, then straight to the freezer (stopping to pull it if you wish).
              If you are freezing a large quantity you would want to consider how that quantity of hot meat will impact your freezer and it's contents. It may be a good idea to put in a ziplock and throw in a cooler of ice water to cool it down a bit before you put it in the freezer if you are doing a large amount.

Comment

I vacuum seal it up. But -- I'll take the "choice" bits and slice and sauce just like I would if'n I was turning that pork in to judging. I do remove fat and gristle -- don't want to eat that. I'll also mark the date the pork was judged and place at the contest. I like the idea of double vac-ing them. This one looks like it's leaking air a bit.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0705.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	49226

Comment

I'm with Keith on this one. Get it in the freezer sooner rather than later. I always store my pork in regular plastic food containers. When I reheat it I always add 0.5-1 cups of beef broth and "simmer" it warm in a pan or skillet. Much better than a microwave in my opinion.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here