Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with ribs

Hello all, since I’ve been using my new pellet smoker I’ve been having a big issue with the bark and rub after wrapping my ribs. I’ve been cooking for about 2 hours st 235, then wrapping with honey, margarine, and brown sugar. My problem comes after it’s time to remove the foil. For some reason when I take the ribs out of the foil all of the rub is gone and I have very uneven color and wet ribs.
    I let the ribs sit for at least 30 min after the rub is put on. Any ideas?

I wish I could help, but I don't wrap ribs.

Comment

When I'm not competing and cooking at home I do not always wrap. If I do wrap, I'll do it meat side up to avoid losing the rub.

Comment

A lot of guys will give you much better info than I can. But long story short when you wrap and add liquid your going to lose a lot of the bark and most of the rub because your creating steam inside the pouch.

Comment

I just don't wrap ribs. I get great bark and tender ribs without wrapping, and it's way less work, imho.

ymmv

Comment

Even when I used to always wrap ribs using the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method, I never put anything beyond a tiny splash of apple juice (or beer if out of juice) on the foil before placing the ribs on it, and that means the juice is under the back side of the ribs. I don't even think that is necessary, as the foil holds in the moisture in the ribs and they braise themselves inside the foil.

Juicy stuff like margarine (?) and honey is going to wash off the rub for sure if you put enough in there to taste. Personally... I think you need to leave stuff like that out until you glaze the ribs at the end, i.e. as part of your BBQ sauce. If you are doing 3-2-1 or 2-2-1, unwrap the ribs for a bit, let them set the softened bark back for 30 minutes, then put your sauce or glaze on for the final 30.

You really ought to try NOT wrapping the ribs at all and see how you like them, and just sauce the last 30 minutes. I no longer wrap my ribs. Your issues are compounded by the fact that pellet smokers have such light smoke compared to charcoal or wood burning smokers that the times I've seen ribs cooked on one, there was very little bark compared to other types of smoker. I watched a video today where a guy was comparing ribs on the Grilla Silverbac to ribs on the Pit Barrel Cooker, and the difference in bark was substantial. And he did not wrap on either smoker.

Comment

I would also add that only 2 hours at 235 is probably not enough time for the bark to set. Try letting them go a minimum of 3 hours before the wrap.

Comment

Something else - not knowing what smoker you have, my understanding is that most pellet smokers put out the most smoke below 225F. 235 is a little above this threshold, so maybe that is impacting you. Also, if these are spare ribs, go 3 hours before wrapping as dshaffes says, if you wrap at all. Since you said you wrap at 2, I suspect you are doing baby backs... which I also would try not wrapping next time.

Comment

Your temperature is fine, just cook them unwrapped longer. We do both no wrap as well as 4-1-1/2 (I.e. 4 hours smoke, 1 hour wrapped in foil, 1/2 hour sauced and high heat to re-set bark. I just use butter and a little brown sugar in the foil. Main thing is to extend your initial cook time.

As I said we do both and quite frankly enjoy both!!!

Comment

I appreciate all the quick replies. I’ve been using a MAK, and surprisingly I get a very good smoke ring. I have a pit barrel as well i might do a couple racks on each to compare.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Smoke ring and bark are entirely different things.

Putting stuff in the foil with the ribs is overrated, imho. Maybe try just wrapping instead next time and see what you think.

Comment

Thanks again for all the help

Comment

Try going unwrapped without adding all the "stuff" and let the flavor of the ribs and whatever rub you use stand on it's own. Sauce or glaze if you must or serve sauce on the side. You might be pleasantly surprised at how much smoother your cook goes and the end result.

Comment

You are not letting the ribs cook long enough for the crust to form ( two hrs isn't long enough). With loin back ribs I let them cook for 3 1/2 hrs, wrap with brown sugar, butter and honey for one hr. Then unwrap and remove the ribs from the foil and let them cook for another 30/45 mins to firm the bark up. Also if you wish you can apply sauce to the ribs during this time.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
                            Hulagn1971 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This advice is spot on.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here