Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-freeze Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with@l jfmorris on ½ rack per person for baby backs.

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I got a vacuum-sealer for my birthday. I plan on using it for the leftover meat.

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    They sure look good!

• Omega-Man
    replied
    My mother taught me that you shouldn't refreeze meat. But, if you cook the defrosted meat you can then freeze when done. It has worked for me over the years.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I cooked all 4 of them. It took over 6 hours in the 26 + SnS and I felt that they should have gone a bit longer. This is what they looked like pre and post sauce:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	488243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	488244

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris my wife has gotten me to cook make-ahead meat alongside a dinner. It works well and makes for healthier and more flavorful work lunches than going to Taco Bell.

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    eat the ribs, refreeze the dessert!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I am talking with sides too. I meant if you were cooking another meat, 3 slabs would be enough. I would feel more comfortable cooking the 4 slabs for that many people myself. I'm smoking 6 slabs (3 loin back, 3 saint louis) and 4 whole chickens tomorrow. The ribs are for dinner, the chickens for the weekday meals.

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    We are also having baked beans, salad and dessert.

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    MBMorgan I also do that, an make stock with th bones Yum!

• jfmorris
    replied
    Personally, 3 slabs of baby backs is not much for 9 adults in my experience, even if its the super meaty "loin back" ribs I get from Sam's Club. The rule of thumb on ribs is usually about a half slab per person, which will average out for the woman that eats 3 bones, and the guy that eats 6 or 7.

Now if you are cooking something else with the ribs, 3 racks is plenty.

I've been known to consume left over ribs for lunch or dinner for several days in a row after a big cook, and they are fine as leftovers.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Nate - I started doing that when I realized we basically never served frozen leftover ribs as "ribs". Instead, the rib meat is typically used in dishes like stir fries.

• JeffJ
    replied
    Thanks for the quick responses. I've done a little research and it is safe to refreeze them so long as they were defrosted in a cold environment, like a 'fridge. The problem with re-freezing is they lose some moisture in the process and I've become a cooking perfectionist so I can't have that. I am going to follow the advice of everyone here and just cook them all. From there, we'll make a determination as to what to do with the leftovers. Perhaps like MBMorgan said, remove the meat from the bones and freeze it. It would make a nice accompaniment to some chorizo and andouille for a nice, cajun breakfast hash (I've done this with leftover pulled pork).

Leave a comment:

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    I like the idea of trimming the meat off and freezing just it!

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Just cook'em all, serve only as much as will be needed for 9 people, then bag and freeze the remainder for future leftovers. I even go so far as to strip the meat from the unneeded ribs and bag/freeze that (saves room in the freezer).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here