Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-freeze Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-freeze Ribs?

Here is my dilemma - I am doing a birthday rib cook tomorrow. A coupe of weeks ago I found baby backs on sale for $2.69 per pound. They come in 2-packs. So, I grabbed two. So, I have gently defrosted 4 slabs of baby backs but there will only be 9 people and I think 3 slabs is the optimal amount. Can I vacuum-seal one of the slabs and re-freeze it?

Not sure what the official safety standard is but I personally do not thaw frozen meat then refreeze it unless I have cooked it.

Others may disagree.

Comment

Go ahead and cook it then freeze it. I've done that a bunch. Either that or force your guests to eat more or take home doggie bags. In my house we have half that many, I guarantee you we could blow through 4 racks of ribs in like 2 days no problem.

Comment

Just cook'em all, serve only as much as will be needed for 9 people, then bag and freeze the remainder for future leftovers. I even go so far as to strip the meat from the unneeded ribs and bag/freeze that (saves room in the freezer).

Comment

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the idea of trimming the meat off and freezing just it!

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nate - I started doing that when I realized we basically never served frozen leftover ribs as "ribs". Instead, the rib meat is typically used in dishes like stir fries.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          MBMorgan I also do that, an make stock with th bones Yum!

Thanks for the quick responses. I've done a little research and it is safe to refreeze them so long as they were defrosted in a cold environment, like a 'fridge. The problem with re-freezing is they lose some moisture in the process and I've become a cooking perfectionist so I can't have that. I am going to follow the advice of everyone here and just cook them all. From there, we'll make a determination as to what to do with the leftovers. Perhaps like MBMorgan said, remove the meat from the bones and freeze it. It would make a nice accompaniment to some chorizo and andouille for a nice, cajun breakfast hash (I've done this with leftover pulled pork).

Comment

Personally, 3 slabs of baby backs is not much for 9 adults in my experience, even if its the super meaty "loin back" ribs I get from Sam's Club. The rule of thumb on ribs is usually about a half slab per person, which will average out for the woman that eats 3 bones, and the guy that eats 6 or 7.

Now if you are cooking something else with the ribs, 3 racks is plenty.

I've been known to consume left over ribs for lunch or dinner for several days in a row after a big cook, and they are fine as leftovers.

Comment

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            eat the ribs, refreeze the dessert!

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris my wife has gotten me to cook make-ahead meat alongside a dinner. It works well and makes for healthier and more flavorful work lunches than going to Taco Bell.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with@l jfmorris on ½ rack per person for baby backs.

I cooked all 4 of them. It took over 6 hours in the 26 + SnS and I felt that they should have gone a bit longer. This is what they looked like pre and post sauce:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	488243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	488244

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            They sure look good!

My mother taught me that you shouldn't refreeze meat. But, if you cook the defrosted meat you can then freeze when done. It has worked for me over the years.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            I got a vacuum-sealer for my birthday. I plan on using it for the leftover meat.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here