Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 butts lots of thumbs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 butts lots of thumbs up

Cooked 2 butts with a total weight of 12 pounds. 5 hours smoke at 240*F IT 160F wrapped after packing up to continue in kitchen oven. Another 4 hours at 220F IT 180F and turned the oven right down to lowest temp about 125F. This am IT was slightly higher @ 190. Back to the smoker in a pan still wrapped in foil and fired up the oven and let it run up to 320 and stabilised. Removed the foil and left the butts in the pan with the juice. There was no real bark and I let it cook naked for about an hour. Did dry up the "moist" outside and form a "kind off" bark. Fell apart while lifting out the pans. Pulled and placed in bain-marie and added the juice from the pans. Near to dishing time I added a bit of apple juice and KC Style BBQ Sauce. The end result was a thumb’s up from the eaters. I felt the meat wasn’t moist enough and not enough smoke. I was told to stop being so critical of my food. I still gave myself a 70% compared with some of my other cooks. The more I practice the better I will get. Already planning my next week smokes but worried I might be overloading their appetite with too much smoked food.

Before wrapping Click image for larger version

Name:	20180419_161006.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	486485 End result Click image for larger version

Name:	20180420_110549.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	486486Click image for larger version

Name:	20180420_110744.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	486487

Looks great!

Comment

Barked up real nice!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        My first time wrapping and still prefer not to.

What you give up in bark you gain in moisture retention and tenderness. Hopefully that was your outcome!!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        When pulling it it was great but half hour or so later not as I hoped it would be. I thought holding in the bain-marie might have helped keep it better.
        Last edited by holehogg; April 20, 2018, 07:44 PM.

Looks mighty fine to me!

Comment

We're always our own worst critics, holehogg . I recommend that you listen to the compliments--these are from people who would probably never have really good BBQ at home if it wasn't for your time and effort.

It looks to me like you did a nice save with the bark. And, as you say, next time will be better. It always is, because as we inch our way up the learning curve, the results always get better. Unlike golf, I'm told, (by my husband).

Kathryn

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          For most, if not all this was their first taste of pulled PP so anything that tasted remotely good would have gotten approval. I did think it was good but room for improvement. I agree with your hubby about golf.

I believe I can safely say your Pork Butt will be requested again and again. I don’t know what you are cooking on, but cooking on a ceramic I usually take mine to 200 internal temp at 225 and then wrap in a faux cambro for two hours or so until it is time to serve. That allows me to separate the excess fat when I pull it. The bark might be a little soft but still plenty firm. On the smoke taste I usually can hardly taste it until I eat leftovers the next day.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Cooking in a home-built vertical. It is the first time using the above method due to situation. I prefer to do the whole cook naked. Cook @ 230 and IT 205 thereabouts. I always only really get the smoke taste with leftovers or if I've showered and changed after the cook.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          holehogg that shower sounds about right!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here