Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Louis ribs Dreamland style on the M1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Louis ribs Dreamland style on the M1

Inspired by Timcee and his results I decided to buy a couple racks from Costco on the way home from work and cook them hot and fast. I must say I'm surprised and very happy with the results! I read Meatheads section in his book about Dreamland ribs and here are the results of my first rib cook on the M1. What I love about the grill is you can fit 2 full size racks on each of the 2 grates vertically. The clearance is not quite 24 inches with the coal grate lowered all the way but it is close enough. I used a cheap aluminum disposable pan with holes cut in it to hold the coals and make cleaning easier. These ribs took just over 90 minutes and the thin sides reached 203 degrees. I sauced the last half hour. The flavor was outstanding with a bit of char and the candied sauce carmalized flavor I love. With one grate removed I can easily add more wood chunks or charcoal and stir coals or slide the rack back and forth over the fire or away from the fire. I flipped the meat about every 15 mins or so. Click image for larger version  Name:	20180417_173913.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.49 MB ID:	485050Click image for larger version  Name:	20180417_173919.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.75 MB ID:	485051Click image for larger version  Name:	20180417_175519.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	485052Click image for larger version  Name:	20180417_190816.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.33 MB ID:	485053Click image for larger version  Name:	20180417_190824.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.37 MB ID:	485054
    Last edited by Butchman; April 17, 2018, 07:02 PM.

Looks great! I wish I could setup a 24" clearance to the charcoal or wood for direct grilling some ribs like that. Maybe in the next grill or pit! I guess the PBC or another UDS with its grate in and lid off would be close, but it would not hold much on the grate.

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, this is more like around 18-20 inch clearance but works as long as you don’t build the fire too large. Kinda like a Santa Maria grill, except you lower and raise the fire instead of the meat and you can use the lid this way if needed.

Cool cooker (or should I say "hot" cooker), you know what I mean...

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Manufactured in Mesquite, Texas.

How was the tenderness and bite compared to doing them for 4-5 hours at 225?

Comment

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Not quite as tender and some bites were chewy but the flavor more than made up for it. It was hard to stop eating them😋

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      If it was hard to stop eating them, that's always a good sign!

Beautiful!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Looks great from here.

Comment

Wow.. These look reaaaaally tasty... Did you mop or spritz during the cook? I'm gonna do them again tomorrow.. Love the color and char.. I wanted that char but was too afraid..

Comment

• Butchman
            Butchman commented
            Editing a comment
            In hindsight, I would mop and spritz and flip more frequently like about every 8-10 minutes. Good luck on your cook.

• Timcee
            Timcee commented
            Editing a comment
            Butchman if hindsight gets any better than what you did... I'm hanging it up!! Showed my wife who said.. "Why didn't yours look like that" lol..

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here