Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creative uses for rib tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative uses for rib tips

What are some of you guys/gals favorite/creative uses for rib tips when cleaning up spare ribs?

Smoke em and eat em. IMO they are the best part of a rib.

edit: Not real creative but a true fact
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 3, 2015, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I actually buy cryovac packages of rib tips often. They are cheaper than most other ribs, and are very versatile. I can do several recipes at once to have a wide variety of ribs to eat. If those close to me find out I'm cooking this way, I tend to have "unexpected" visitors, side dishes in hand(of course..lol). When money is tight, they are one of the best values going. Even if money is not tight, they are tasty, and I really like them.

Comment

I just did 2 racks of spares a few days ago and I trim the tips up and dice the meat and put it in a bag. My favorite thing to do is make a stir fry of some sort with it. Salt pepper and garlic powder on the meat, soy and teriyaki sauce in the skillet with the pork (and a dab of oil), add some brown sugar and ginger powder toward the end of the cook to glaze the sauce.....mmmm!

Here, from 2 racks (including the meat flap underneath that only one had) I have over a pound, maybe near 1.5lb of ready to use diced pork. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG6348.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	48514

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Second the stir fry. That is what we use them for since they are oddball pieces that are not uniform.

Another idea - if you grind your own meat, anyway - is to mix it in with your ground beef for some outta site burgers or meatloaf.

A little grill we go to in Saluda, NC mixes their spicy in-house made sausage 1/2 and 1/2 with ground chuck for their burger patties and they are jam-up!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          When I get into meat grinding, I am def going to do that. I will call them Pow burgers for what will surely be their stellar flavor, and the pig/cow thing too.

I am not a fan on cooking them in the smoker, but did a slow braise in the oven with some onions, carrots, celery, garlic water and cooked it at about 170 for 8 hrs. checking now and then. Strained it and put in the ice box for two days final product was pure pork gelatin, and really nice flavored pork lard. will inject pork butts for competitions and to make killer Posole

Comment

Speaking of rib tips.... I had half a pig butchered earlier in the year and forgot to write down to take the tips off the spare ribs (I sacrificed the baby back to the chops). So I called in and asked them to add it to my form for the butcher. When I picked up the packaged meat I found to my surprise 5 bags all labeled ribs, when I took a closer look I noticed they were all only about 2 inches wide. I think the guy on the phone wrote down "rib strips", LOL.

The guy who answered the phone is the butchers son. At first I tried to explain I wanted the St. Luis cut, which he didn't understand. So I proceeded to explain that I wanted the "tips cut off so the rack was squared up". I'm guessing he won't be taking over the business.

These rib strips to make a mean appetizer however.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            They are great for all kind of Chinese dishes, such as spare ribs with black bean sauce.

Make Tasso! Clean silver skin and cartiledge off, meat will be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut to about the same size. Slather with yellow mustard, season heavily with your favorite Cajun seasoning mix. I use Bon CaCa from New Iberia, La. Seal up in a plastic bag and let it age in the meat drawer for up to a week, then smoke. Vacuum seal in small bags. Use in beans or soup or anything that you'd use ham in. Good stuff!

Comment

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            This sounds awesome! Never had it before, but will definitely be trying it in the future!

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            CandySue, how long do you smoke these? I've got some in the fridge "Cajun Seasoning Brining" now.

Took the suggestion for stir fry. Here's what I did.

Cut meat into pieces about the size of two match sticks together wide and 1 match stick long. Shredded half a head of small cabbage, diced 3 scallions. and 4 or 5 shiitake mushrooms. Mixed pork with 3 TBS soys sauce, 2 tsp sesame oil, scallions, tsp red pepper flakes, and 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch and set aside. Heated 2 TBS high heat almond oil in a large frying pan over high heat and sautéed cabbage for a minute, added a couple good pinches of salt and stir fried for about another minute before removing from pan. Wiped out pan and added about 5 TBS more oil and heated till smoking and added mushrooms, stir fried for about 30 seconds and then added a TBS of water to the pork mix and added to the pan. Stir fried till pork was done. Added cabbage back to pan and stir fried about a minute to reheat cabbage. Served with a splash of soy sauce and a drizzle of sriracha. Dang tasty!!! Will definitely be making again. I think some jalapeño sticks added would be awesome too, but I didn't have any.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum yum. That's a 5 star version of my 1-star method.

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            I am going to give this a try. Sounds great. Dr how long is a match stick? LOL great measurement idea.

Originally posted by OGMrWhite View Post
          I had half a pig butchered earlier in the year
          So on the farm there's still half a pig that isn't butchered??? Ha ha. I'm here all night folks.

Comment

Soak 'em in char siu marinade (http://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-bbq-pork/2/) and cook them over the charcoal with the ribs. Toss it in the fridge and when I have time, strip the meat off and dice it, then throw it in the freezer to use to make fried rice when the whim strikes me.

Comment

marinade at least overnight with
              3 tablespoon fish sauce
              1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
              3-4 cloves crushed garlic
              1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
              1 teaspoon hot sauce
              1 teaspoon red curry powder
              1/2 teaspoon red curry paste

then stir fry with what ever veggys sound good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here