Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honeybaked or Heavenly Ham Knock-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honeybaked or Heavenly Ham Knock-off

Ok, I wasn't going to post this because I forgot to take pictures... But it turned out so darn good I just had to.

The mission: Take a cheap store brand spiral sliced ham and make it taste as good or just like the Honeybaked or Heavenly ham. For those who haven't tried these, the hams are insanely good and insanely expensive. Honeybaked or Heavenly Ham (depending on where you live) is a chain that sells amazing hams, turkey and other fixins and deserts. That's all they do and they do it well.

I picked up a store brand spiral sliced ham that was on sale after Easter so I got a deal.

I smoked it on the Kamado at about 275 degrees until it reached an internal of about 135 degrees using apple wood but just light smoke. No foil or wrapping, just on the grate with a drip pan underneath.

Then the magic. I made a glaze using the following ingredients:

1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    a dash of ground ginger
    a dash of ground allspice

Mix all these together until well blended.

I used a cookie sheet with a 13x9 baking pan inverted to make a raised platform to make it easier to glaze. I covered the 13x9 with parchment paper to catch the melted glaze mixture.

Place the ham, meat side down on the parchment paper.
    I packed as much of the mixture on the sides of the ham as I could get to stay.

Then the fun!
    Get out the torch and melt/caramelize the glaze mixture by slowly moving the torch around. Keep it moving so the sugar doesn't burn. The glaze will melt and bubble. Let it sit for a few minutes until the glaze hardens. Be careful around the parchment paper. It is meant to get hot but no direct flame!

What you end up with is a cheap ham that tastes exactly like the original very expensive one! There is a quality difference in the meat but the flavor is spot-on.

Here is what I started with. The 'Honey' part of the ham is the glaze packet that went straight into the trash can. Sorry, I didn't get pictures of the finished product but the wife took a pic of the torch work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ham.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	484285Click image for larger version

Name:	Glazing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	484286

You cannot mention torch in a forum like this and not show pictures
    Last edited by Henrik; April 17, 2018, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• kamadoRob
      kamadoRob commented
      Editing a comment
      True that; that's why I almost didn't post but then I remembered the pic of the torch in use, and it was so good I just had to share!

My best hams have been hung in the Pit Barrel and cooked until done, and like you no wrapping.

Comment

That bone will make THE BEST ham and beans you have ever eaten.

Comment

• kamadoRob
        kamadoRob commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah. I’ve always done that in the past. Heartburn and gas nearly killed me that last time though.

I agree nothing like cheap hams and putting the smoke to 'em. I do this every so often. I've always stayed away from the spiral sliced for fear they would dry out on the smoker. They take on a amazing flavor from the smoke and best of all are cheap and goes a long way. I always get the bone in because as Cheef points out it makes the best ham and bean soup!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	484463

Comment

so that ham was precooked and you smoked it to bring it to serving temp?

Comment

• kamadoRob
          kamadoRob commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Fully cooked spiral sliced ham. The smoke makes a world of difference in the flavor.

Nicely done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here