Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about grilling ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about grilling ribs?

I've smoked ribs every time I cook them but tomorrow I'd like to grill them via the Santa Maria grill.. Any tips? How long should I expect them to cook via grilling?
    I'm thinking that I'll brine them for a few hours and then cook them medium heat, spraying them with apple cider vinegar and apple juice every 40 min or so?
    Just want to try the method is why I'm doing so.. Also don't feel like firing up another grill or smoker.. I want to do the steaks, burgers and wings all on the same grill..

Call me lazy I know.. :-D

Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous is a Memphis BBQ staple and now you can create their signature dry rubbed ribs at home. In this quick and easy recipe, baby back ribs are cooked hot and fast over charcoal, basted constantly with a vinegary mop sauce, and then covered in their seasoning. In true Memphis fashion, there is no sauce on these dry rub ribs.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you! I put in "grilling ribs" in the search and nothing came up.. Thanks a lot

So....are you going to give this a run? I have always kinda wondered about grilling ribs. I would if it would be a whole lot different from the flavors you get from the PBC.

I will be curious, if you do it.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Did, done and sold!! Just a kiss of smoke but the time and taste were way past worth it

I just grilled my first ribs today on a new Weber It took 6 and 1/2 hr scary but they turned out awesome as I’m sure yours will too

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldnt believe how awesome they came out in 1 hr 30.
      I'll be doing it this way for a minute...

Grilling ribs on a Santa Maria grill will be similar to how they are cooked a couple of feet above the coals at the world famous Rendezvous in Memphis. They baste with a cider-vinegar water mix, and apply their dry rub, and cook the ribs pretty quickly - an hour or so I believe, versus low and slow. I think it will be great.

I’ve bought their dry rub by the case before, and the directions on the rub tell you to use 50/50 cider vinegar and water, and brush on before applying the rub near the end of the cook.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha I guess I should have read Jerod’s link.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't say crap.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have a PBC, you have the perfect tool to replicate Rendezvous' ribs.

So I did it and I could be tripping but these were some of my favorites ribs ever and I've done ribs 1000 ways with 9-10 different cookers... Time took about 1:30 but were super juicy with a hint of smoke (over red oak)
    Mopped with Apple cider vinegar, Apple juice, mustard and rib rub mix every 30-40 min. Lowered for a quick sear at the end.
    Me and the kids loved it but wife missed the heavier smoke but I think leftovers will have more of the smoke.

I think this will be my "go to" for a min. Couldn't believe the results but I'm a "sold man" now.

Attached Files

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      And did wings and steak too. Ribs were marinated 2 different ways..dark one with coco aminos, minced garlic, Memphis rub with Worcester powder. Red one with squeezed oranges and myron Mixon rub a dub rub. The steak was marinaded in pineapple then seasoned with black lava salt. Most tender steak ever too. Definitely an experimental day but paid off well
      Last edited by Timcee; April 15, 2018, 11:59 PM.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      So what temp did you average?

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think.. Around 350-400...I forgot to pull out the IR gun DOH!! When I closed the box down to get the heat to be even across the grates (before ribs went on) the thermometer read somewhere around 370...

Looks like you had the perfect set up.

Comment

Those look like some nice meaty ribs. Loin back? I may have to try this on my Santa Maria soon. I just have a hard time believing they would come out tender after1.5 hours on a grill versus 5 or 6 hours of low and slow. But I guess you are proof it can be done. Does your last pic show how far up from the fire you cooked them the whole time except for the sear at the end?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Believe it. The Rendezvous sells a LOT of ribs, and if they were tough and dry, no one would be coming back...

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know the science behind it but they were super juicy.. I pretty much kept them that high for the cook yes.. Started bone side down for about 30-40 min (or until I saw the meat draw back^^) then meat side for another 45 or so and could've taken off before but was cooking other things and sorta forgot.. wrapped in foil while the wings and steak cooked (so another 30?)

Great looking cook Timcee - I actually tried cooking my ribs direct this way after first eating at the Rendezvous many years ago, but my issue was that the distance from charcoal to meat on my offset with the charcoal pan in the main chamber is just too close (probably about 10 inches). I got close by cooking with the lid open, to keep heat down, but ended up having to go back to indirect with the firebox to get good results. Your cook makes me want to buy/build a Santa Maria setup for sure!

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much jfmorris .. There's a guy that I bought a SM attachment for the Weber 22.. And I saw him cook them (FB) which reminded me how I've been wanting to.. I'm still shocked at the results and guess I'll have to visit Rendezvous since my family live that way..

Awesome. I've grilled them before buy had cut them in pairs cooked like chicken or wings. I got smoke and char. Mine were SnP and another with an orange style glaze/sauces. They were good. I like the SnP ribs. That's how I used to do them a long while back as my wife hated smoke.

Comment

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        I was too scared to just do SnP especially on my first round of just grilling.. Thought they might've needed some flavor help.. My daughter said we have bbq sauce in case they don't turn out right. LOL.. I can't wait to try some today and see if any more smoker flavor has been increased but for the people who aren't huge on smoke.. This is def the way..

Looks great! Don’t forget to display a few pictures showing the beautiful grill as well!

Comment

Beautifully done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here