Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoosier-style breaded pork tenderloins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoosier-style breaded pork tenderloins

I just realized I had this pic on my phone from texting it to a friend last night. I grew up in Indiana, and one of the great regional foods is the breaded pork tenderloin. Sure, they have them other places, but there's no place like home.

Purists will say - and I'll agree - that these are not authentic Hoosier-style because they aren't hammered paper thin until they get to manhole-cover diameter. But I do them this way for convenience... When they are a little thicker, I find it's easier to hammer them out, vacuum seal them in batches of 6, and freeze them. So I get the 2-pack of tenderloins at Costco and prep them all at once. And in truth, I like the higher meat-to-breading ratio of this way, too.

Oh, and that's clarified chicken fat, in case you were wondering. Tenderloins are one of the things that makes it worth the effort to save and clarify the fat when making chicken stock. (Hash browns are another.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	482316

It is always amusing to see a tenderloin loin larger than the plate brought out to a person with the cheapest little hamburger bun on top and them just speechlessly stare at it like "what.... what do I do with this" ... that look of confusion and almost panic sets in lol...

Gotta love my home state.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up in the country north of Ft. Wayne. What part of the state are you in?

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Kind of the Vincennes and Washington area.

Oh man, I remember back in college when Dairy Queen sold pork tenderloin sammies. They were a real treat on a Friday night dinner date.

That looks really tasty, radshop . Brings back good memories. May have to try it--but without the chicken fat, since I never seem to have much of that around. Now bacon fat is a whole other thing.

Kathryn

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmm... bacon

Beautiful!

Comment

They do the same thing with cube steak here in Texas, hammer it out thin the size of serving plates in diameter, bread it and fry it up. Chicken fried steak. Anyway I like the tenderloin idea, I've done it with beef, veal and chicken breasts, thanks for the tenderloin suggestion !!!

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        As radshop mentioned, a little thicker is better! A 1/4"-3/8" cutlet is about right. Then you can actually taste the pork. The "platter size" cutlets look impressive but the meat is paper thin and the finished product ends up being 80-90% breading.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I never much liked cube steak because it often has a tough section running through it. I use thin filets, pounded out. Mmmmm like butter only beef.

Kathryn

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      They do the same thing with cube steak here in Texas, hammer it out thin the size of serving plates in diameter, bread it and fry it up. Chicken fried steak. Anyway I like the tenderloin idea, I've done it with beef, veal and chicken breasts, thanks for the tenderloin suggestion !!!
      Troutman Love me some chicken fried steak! For an 8 year period, I spent 1 week a month in Oklahoma. I'll have to get some cube steak and add it to the rotation. With some mashed potatoes, gravy, okra - oh man, I'm getting hungry.

Edit - not that it matters, but just to keep the record straight, was actually 6 years. (Maybe felt longer)
      Last edited by radshop; April 13, 2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

My family love the tenderloin cutlets. Chicken fat. Hmmmm... i always have some of that around. I with you on the taters. Yum.

chicken fried steak was originally a tough cut of meat hence the pounding out of the meat, the Charles Goodnight way. What a story there.

gee thanks radshop I never knew it was an Indiana thing. Now I need to fry something. I'll have to wait until Tuesday.

Comment

• radshop
          radshop commented
          Editing a comment
          Always here to do my part!

radshop Great post. I am a native Hoosier living in Chicagoland. Was back in Indiana this week and had a Hoosier tenderloin. Several places up here serve them but they just aren't the same. Nate the tiny cheap bun on the hubcap-size tenderloin is essential.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          The bun thing Is funny. I can see it as a "must."

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
        chicken fried steak was originally a tough cut of meat hence the pounding out of the meat, the Charles Goodnight way. What a story there.
        Hang on - that almost slipped by me. HouseHomey , is that Charles Goodnight the rancher (inspiration for Lonesome Dove)? Please explain the chicken fried steak story.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know about that story but Charles invented the Chuck Wagon for the cattle drives that hired the Germans who made their schnitzel which turned into chicken fried steak with cheaper cuts of meat vs Veal. 1864 or so. The hayday lasted about 20 years

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          The wagon was also the shoe repair, docs office and all kinds of stuff to Cowboys.

HouseHomey here you go:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0152.PNG Views:	1 Size:	782.9 KB ID:	482541
        Last edited by Reds Fan 5; April 13, 2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Wowza. Indiana here I come.

K.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah buddy!!! I bet I can handle that burger! Nice!

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          The only thing that lacks of being "perfection" is fact that the tomatoes this time of year aren't worth slicing... Otherwise, awesome plate, be it Indiana or Iowa (we know some about cooking hogs too ).

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here