Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked ham question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked ham question

Hi all,

I have about a 7# Nieman Ranch applewood smoked ham. they had a great deal on them after Easter so I plan on making it today. I see a lot of people here heat them on their smokers/grill. It is already cooked and smoked. Is there any advantage to throwing it on my cooker instead of the oven to bring to temp??

Add some smoke take it to 140 add glaze if you wish your good to go better flavor than the oven

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Will do. they gave me a glaze but I might make my own.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      The Chris Lilly apricot glaze in the free recipe section is wonderful

I smoked an already-smoked ham this week on the Weber kettle - my first time. Although I didn't see any recipes that recommended it, I soaked it overnight to get some salt out. I then smoked it to about 140 (it was 127 in some spots, 145 in others). The fresh smoke taste was clearly evident and tasted much better than baking or boiling the ham. My wife raved about it.

I trimmed off all the fat I could, and trimmed off the hard skin on the outside, exposing all meat to the smoke.
    Last edited by steve_woolston; April 11, 2018, 09:19 AM. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

• Sfdrew28
      Sfdrew28 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the valuable input. It's going on tonight. I'm going to just chuck in a apple chuck to give a bit of fresh smoke but not overwhelm the flavor. I'm also going to use the apricot glaze mentioned on the site here.

I figure a temp about 275ish? It's already cooked so I don't see a need to go any lower.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here