Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American BBQ meets SW cooking thank you Househomey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job!

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

fzxdoc never bugging me I'm glad to help. I started with the lid off for the smoke flavor then put it on for the next few hours before removing it. All of the recipes I looked at said the water would be gone in a couple of hours, well it was not again could have been due to the amount I was doing or the low temps. The smoke was very light, I think what I may do next time is lay everything out meat, onions garlic and give that the smoke then add everything to the DO and cook from there at around 350. My pan was so full I added the lard after 2 hours and it worked fine. I don't believe that there is much you can do wrong making this except for the flavor of it which I believe is much better than pulled pork with a rub. Save some liquid as when it is frying it will dry some but not bad mine was still moist. Always here to help if you have any other ?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      So you seared and smoked first?

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      No everything went into the pot then smoked them cooked till 190 it then let it fry to crisp up. HouseHomey

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it. I've always seared first. Seriosly though, my stomach just growled.

Being it was my first time and now seeing how it is done I understand more on what to do the next time. They loved everything but they said the sauce could have been hotter. Thank you again for all your help and patience HouseHomey

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Anytime brother. Your cook was awesome. And BTW..... there is always some one who wants it hotter. Too funny.

Can someone direct me to square one on this recipe?

Comment

smokinsteve the recipe I followed called for a 4 lb butt I used a 9lb was my first mistake but with HouseHomey help and tips it came out great for a first time cook. I cut up the roast into 2 inch pieces added a whole orange squeeze out the juice, 2 onions finely sliced 5 or 6 large cloves of garlic, 4 bayleafs, about 2 tablespoons of crushed whole oregano salt pepper some cumin,2 cups of water and 2 cups of lard. Heated the grill to 225 for some light smoke. Here is where I went wrong I covered the Dutch oven for the next few hours next time I will leave the lid off, raise your temp to around 350 and let it cook. The recipe says the water will evaporate after a couple of hours mine did not so when the meat reached 190 I drained the water and put the meat back in to brown . Stored about 30 minutes in between for probably a little over a hour. Then tossed it into a foil pan and shredded the rest that was not already falling apart. . When I drained the water I discarded the oranges and bayleafs left most of the onion and garlic in it. If I would have done 4 lbs it would have crisped up nice but being the pot was so full it did not get as done as I would have liked. HouseHomey stated he will sear his first, good tip. This has much more flavor to it than regular pulled pork and is very juicy and tender

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      The smoke flavor was very light next time I will lay out the meat,onions and garlic and smoke them before adding to the pot for better flavor. If you would like the sauce recipe just let me know
      Last edited by customtrim; April 10, 2018, 07:56 AM.

Holy frijoles, this looks great.

Comment

Time to make again on the disc

Comment

That looks great! I'm not sure if I missed a link but could you post the recipe for the Guajillo sauce?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here