Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 9lb Butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 9lb Butt

I wanted to post my New Year's Day smoke with my new Masterbuilt 40" 1800 watt Electric Smoker. While I know the Masterbuilt is on the not recommended list for Amazing Ribs, it was a surprise Christmas present from the wife and heck it worked pretty well.

I followed the Perfect Pulled Pork recipe, and went with cherry wood this time. Normally I do hickory, but I am impressed with the taste the cherry gave. I used my new Masterbuilt 40" 1800 watt Electric Smoker, and monitored the temp with a Maverick ET-732. The total cook took about 18 hours.

The smoker created incredible smoke I thought, and after 3 hours of smoking, I quit adding chips and let it cook the rest of the way. I really like the new smoker and think it is set up real well. My main complaint is the temperature fluctuated by about 25 degrees so I set the smoker on 250 and from my ET-732, the internal temperature would go up to 240 and back down to 215.

The butt came out great and had a smokey sweet taste to it. I could eat it by itself, but I did make some Eastern NC BBQ Sauce i slapped together with cider vinegar, brown sugar, and red pepper flake and a few other ingredients. I also made up some SC Mustard Sauce and KC Original BBQ sauce from the website. We like variety lol.

All in all some great BBQ!

Nice bark!

Comment

Mack Daddy Maillard Right There!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BBQLipscken View Post
        My main complaint is the temperature fluctuated by about 25 degrees so I set the smoker on 250 and from my ET-732, the internal temperature would go up to 240 and back down to 215.
        I think, though I'm not sure, that this is the way that electric ovens work in general. They cycle on and off, so they go a little high and come down and then pump back up, etc. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm or correct

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You're probably right. I have a gas oven, and I tested it with my Mav once. It goes up only TO the set temp, then dwindles down 10 deg, then back up to set temp, etc. We wondered why it always takes more time to bake things than it should, it spends more time 5-10 degrees low than it does at set temp. Interesting...

I have that same machine. It works pretty good in my opinion. Makes great smoked salmon and beef jerky too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post

I think, though I'm not sure, that this is the way that electric ovens work in general. They cycle on and off, so they go a little high and come down and then pump back up, etc. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will confirm or correct
          Strat 50 would be able to answer this. I would think

Comment

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            It stands to reason that is how it would work - just like your regular or convection oven in the house...

Thanks for the comments! Yes the bark was most excellent!

I was figuring there would be some temperature fluctuation with the electric smoker due to it working like an oven, but I was surprised it was that wide of a range. One other thing I did want to mention, the setup with the electric smoker was smooth and easy. I do believe I will be doing a lot more smoking from now on.

I am going to make a bit of mac and cheese and smoke it to go with the leftovers for dinner tonight. I made some Christmas Day and it was awesome as well.

Comment

I, too, have the 40" Masterbuilt which I got for Christmas. I haven't done a butt in it yet, but have done ribs, beef shanks and jerk pork, all of which came out good, subject to my own mistakes, like over cooking the jerk a little. I have seen, and been disconcerted by, the big temp swings, but so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post

Agreed. My stove in the kitchen does this exact thing and the range of fluctuation is about identical. I measured it using the Thermoworks BBQ kit with their thermocouple made just for this job). Does the same exact thing as your electric smoker.

That said, Strat50 would still be more credible than myself, I'd bet.

Comment

Something I learned on another site, the cookshack site, today. If you put a dumbell in the smoker with your food, it acts as a heat sink and does a better job of smoothing out the temp peaks and valleys. I have not tried yet, but, will next time I smoke something.

Comment

• Dr ROK
                  Dr ROK commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wonder if a few bricks would do the same thing?

• chudzikb
                  chudzikb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ROK, I can't imagine that a few bricks would not perform the same function. Idea is that of a heat sink to moderate temperature fluctuations. Just about any mass would do the trick. How clean the item is and how hard to clean it afterward might enter into calculations on what to use?

Temp fluctuations need to happen in order to make smoke. Smoke will only happen when the element is heated up, and the element will only heat up if the thermostat tells it to, and it will only tell it to if there are swings. If it only vaired say 5 degrees instead of 25, the element would only be lit ~20% of the time that it currently is.

A heat sink will make your overall temp swings look better on paper but keep in mind the less your element kicks on the less smoke you get! This is the downside of an electric smoker. You may be able to get around this by adding a lit briquette or two in the mix.

Comment

Huskee, not saying it is the absolute correct thing to do, but, something to try and see how it works out. Across brands there is much variation. And, yes I know electrics are not the best, but, it is, as of now, the amount of pain I am willing to deal with for this hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by chudzikb View Post
                    Huskee, not saying it is the absolute correct thing to do, but, something to try and see how it works out. Across brands there is much variation. And, yes I know electrics are not the best, but, it is, as of now, the amount of pain I am willing to deal with for this hobby.
                    Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. I'm just trying to shed a different angle on the 'lowering/eliminating temp swings' line of thought and why with electrics we want them. Combustion/smoke only happens when the temps swings low and needs correction.

Comment

Further to the temperature fluctuation issue with the Masterbuilt 40" Electric, On my last cook, where I noticed the wild temperature variations during the cook, I had the "cooker" probe of my Mav ET733 clipped to the grate, close to the meat, but at the front of the grate, near the door. Today, I am cooking butts in 17°F weather but I made a point of clipping the "cooker" probe to the back of the grate, away from the door, and I am not seeing nearly the range of temp variation. Admittedly, I am not staring at it constantly, but, for instance, the low temp alarm has not gone off once, even when I opened the door. That might be a solution to the perceived problem - or not.

DEW

Comment

Dew, starting to wonder if better to go back to the tinfoil ball to support the probe from the clip. Not sure which is better or the effect, Used to always use the tinfoil ball, till I found one of the clips laying around.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here