Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re- Reheating Frozen Pulled Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re- Reheating Frozen Pulled Pork

I have read somewhere Meathead recommend reheating frozen pulled pork in the microwave. Is this done in the microwave from frozen or defrost in fridge and then nuke. I defrosted mine in a bowl on a defrost setting in micro and then a quick 30 secs on high. Turned out a bit dry but a topping of KC BBQ sauce did help a bit. I do not have an SV. A week or so ago I defrosted in fridge and then added a bit of apple juice and water to a pan and heated liquid before adding PP. Was definitely moister but was a little sweet from the liquid that must have been a heavy tipple of apple juice.

I put my leftover pulled pork in 2-serving food saved packs in the freezer. To reheat, I boil a pot of water, turn down to simmer when it starts to boil, throw in the unopened frozen pack and simmer for 10-15 minutes. My theory is the unopened pack preserves the moisture.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I do too.

• randy56
      randy56 commented
      Editing a comment
      X 4, sometimes I use turkey frier with water, when doing several butts at a time. be careful not to melt the bag, also when i vacuum pack, I'll cut a large chunk of butter, and slip it in before freezing.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm gonna butter one up next time and see how I like it!

I like to spray it with a little apple juice or cider and wrap in aluminum foil then heat it in the oven @ 275* it comes out moist every time.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles Don't have an oven in my trailer - Oh I do the smoker just not to heavy on the spritzing bit. Maybe once heated can drop the oven temp and hold to keep warm.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      You don’t have to spritz it if you don’t want too. I just do it to add a little extra flavor.

I usually pack 1.5 lb packages with a couple pats of butter in a vacuum sealer to freeze, then reheat using SV or hot water in a pot (not boiling) and it's never dry. Take the warmed up bag and squeeze it to distribute the butter prior to opening and enjoy!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      choffert SV is on my list of HTB (have to buy)

• Mitchl
      Mitchl commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for butter and reheat in vacuum bag in hot water. Butter helps add back some moisture and mouth feel.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitchl I love butter and can relate to how it will enhance things.

I second choffert and smokenoob, though I never add the butter.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy maybe a bit of pork lard or bacon fat instead?

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Holehogg: I've found the meat to be fine without added fat or liquid. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt add either, though. I mean, how could bacon fat or butter (or apple juice) not help? Cook's choice!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Leftover bacon grease is useful in these situations. :-)

I reheat 1 pound portions of pulled pork from frozen in the vacuum sealed bags, in the microwave. Used to drop the bag in a pot of boiling water, but don’t bother any more. I put it on defrost for 1 pound meat - then on high for a couple more minutes, open the bag, pour into a bowl and fluff up and serve. Just did that this week with some oh-so-good Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce, which I also toss some chopped cabbage in as a slaw.

Another way I like to reheat pulled pork is in a skillet with some oil, to crisp it up carnitas style for pulled pork tacos.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to try it your way in the faux oven....

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris what I tried this evening was 200g (1/4 pound) in a zip bag that I removed and did as described above in micro. I also found it to be less smokey... flavourful than the day it was cooked. I shouldn't imagine the quantity you freeze it in wouldn't make a difference to reheating in micro method.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg I don't think being reheated would affect smokiness. Maybe just being left over is the cause for being different? Unfortunately, unlike most vacuum sealer bags, the zip lock bags are not good for dropping in a pot of boiling water, as they cannot take the heat.

I defrost in a fridge and reheat in a crock pot. Never dry but my pulled pork is always very moist before I vacuum seal and freeze. I usually freeze in 3lb bags. There is just so much you can do with left over pulled pork. I like to throw a little bit on the flat top with some butter to crisp it up a bit and then pile it on top of a burger.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      yum! great idea! my DW made pulled pork enchiladas with our last butt, OMG they were good!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with so much to do with left over PP. I have even mad a cottage pie that was so good.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here