Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frying Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frying Ribs?

Has anyone ever tried frying ribs after you take them out of the smoker? If so how did it tirn out? Could you Still taste the rub? Was it crispy or greasy?

Why would you want to fried the ribs after smoking them?

Comment

Fox Bros BBQ in Atlanta does chicken fried ribs that are awesome and I’ve always wanted to replicate but haven’t done so yet. Be our test subject!

Comment

Chefsteps has a recipe for sous vide, then fried kung pao ribs that I've been wanting to do, but want to wait for summer so I can fry outside. Post sous vide, the texture would be a bit different than post smoke. This is how they cut them after cooking and before frying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KP-Ribs01.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	477260

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds awesome. Love me some kung pao!

I can tell you that fried smoked chicken is really good. But with ribs, this might be doing too much. I would be interested in hearing from someone who has done it, however.

Comment

Check this thread out: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-idea-for-ribs

I did this at a contest last fall on a drum. I think there is potential there, but likely not for a contest.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WHribs.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	477290

Comment

Dry ribs with Caesar salad seems to be a thing in the central and western provinces of Canada. Several years ago I stopped for lunch in a small town in Saskatchewan. Saw "dry ribs" on the menu so I gave that a try.

The ribs were baby backs chopped up into little pieces and deep fried. I can tell you that there was no breading, because I've been doing the Paleo eating lifestyle for a while now.

The ribs tasted like they were fried in the same vat that did last Friday's fish fry.

About a week later I got some dinner to go from the bar in my hotel in Saskatoon. I had gotten in late, and the only things the kitchen was serving was bar food. So I did a 50/50 on wings and "dry ribs". The wings were okay, but the ribs were chopped up and deep fried again. At least they didn't have a fish taste. But they were so greasy I couldn't eat them.

A year later I had some time for lunch at the airport in Calgary. Chili's had "Texas dry ribs" on the menu. I had a salad.

Comment

Oh yeah! I cooked some sous vide Then I breaded them in panko and deep fried them. Dipped them in some smokey Hoisin sauce and they were spectacular. I have done it a few times since. And don't cheat yourself, fry it in lard! Bring the noise!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Lodge Wok:Fried Panko Ribs:Pre Fry.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	477508Click image for larger version  Name:	Lodge Wok:Fried Panko Ribs:Spoon.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	477509Click image for larger version  Name:	Lodge Wok:Fried Panko Ribs.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	477510

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here