Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Al Pastor on a PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Al Pastor on a PBC

I've been on a Mexican kick lately and watched the video on PBC's website from The Holler for Al Pastor. going to be trying this later today. Anyone else tried this yet? Any extra words of wisdom? I've got 4.5lbs already sliced and marinated, so I'm figuring on a 4-5 hr cook. I've only had the PBC for about 4 months and we're still getting to know each other so advice is always appreciated.

I am assuming this is the video are referring too. Tacos al Pastor.

I have not tried that yet, but it looks amazing. I thought about doing this with the skewers, to make some gyro meat. Now this makes me believe that it can be done. The meat in the video looks overcooked, so make sure to keep an eye on it.

I like this one , the meat is done just about right. And they give you a recipe base to start with. I realize the cooker is different, but the concept is the same, over live fire. Just let the PBC do its thing and this will be awesome.

Comment

• Company2BBQ
      Company2BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's the video. he said he took it to 165 IT. does look a bit barky on the outside, but that may not be a bad thing. I like the video you shared, more detail. think i'll try that one next time.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. I'd love to see some pictures! Company2BBQ

Are you using hanging skewers or the turkey hanger? If the skewers, what size?

I did boneless chicken legs and thighs on 15" skewers a few weeks back. I put the end and top of a pineapple at the bottom of the skewer to shield the chicken from the coals as they seemed really close. Was glad I did since the pineapple was *very* done and the chicken remained moist.

I have since gotten the shorter skewers but haven't used them yet. I think the turkey hanger would be well enough away from the coals as well.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Carol! Good to hear from ya! I hope you are thawing out in the east!

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Brutal March, with three Noreasters in less than two weeks. Our place didn't flood, but it was pretty hard to get around for a few days. Month is going out like a lamb with temps in the 50s today. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Company2BBQ definitely get the shorter skewers! The longer ones would be great hung from a straight rod between the two rebars, but seem too long otherwise.

Well were off and running. carolts Carolina couldn't agree more. After hanging this I can see the shorter ones maybe working better. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_134620.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	475331Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_140256.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	475332Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_141626.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	475333

Comment

Lol, Couldn't agree more. But I'm sure Carolina would approve also.

Comment

And all this time I thought this thread was about a preacher named Al. Like I've said before, I learn something from this site everyday.

Comment

• Company2BBQ
          Company2BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! Well not to take away from the Donner party but I'm pretty sure Al will taste pretty good.

I didn't watch the vids but generally like gyro meat the protein is heated from the side and at the very least roatating/spinning. The meat is never done at once.

The idea is to carve the finished outer layer and place in a corn tortilla for your tacos without cutting too deep and getting unfinished meat.. Then the next layer cookes. So on and on.... to the center. (like a tootsie pop, remember that?)

The pineapple on top drips down the outter layer of meat flavoring the next toco to be carved off.

im confused. Are trying to pull this off at the same time or will you be carving? The meat is also packed extremely tight too.

your marinade meat looks awesome. Love the aciote paste color. Just realized this was an earlier post. How was it?

Comment

• Company2BBQ
          Company2BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          At 151 IT right now, so not quite finished. Color looks great. Smells awesome. I started spraying with Dole's pineapple juice at 100 degrees and every 20 degrees after. Taking it to 165 IT in the center. I'll post final results when done.

If it's pork, to me it's done?? Pork steak?? Make sure (IMHO) you temp in multiplee places to account for all sides. Yes the conical thingy.

great idea to baste.

Comment

• Company2BBQ
          Company2BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Pork shoulder, butt end. at 160 now. Agree on getting temps at all ends.

Well, it was good, but it needs work. A thinner marinade would be a good start. Flavor was there though. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_195821.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	475579Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_200234.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	475580

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Whoosh!!

• carolts
          carolts commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like you nailed it! PBC has the shorter skewers back in stock, fyi.

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Company2BBQ How long was your cook? I just tried this with the video Spinaker linked above and mine turned into a pile of mush.Trying to figure what to change for the next time. I didn't get my slices nicely thin like you did. Check out my post "Al pastor IT".

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here