Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Porchetta - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Porchetta - HELP!

My buddy delivered a pork porchetta (pork belly and loin together) to me today - which I'm planning to cook for Easter, confident that Meathead would have a recipe here on my favorite website... Low and behold - I can't find anything! I'd like to smoke it, once it's rolled, but cannot find any method other than just simply grilling or oven cooking. Help me Meathead - you're my only hope!

Welcome to The Pit. I haven't done any porchetta, so I can't help. Someone will be along shortly though.

Comment

Welcome to the pit! Porchetta is great food. The closest I can find is this:

Smoky, tender, and spectacular looking, this recipe for a smoked stuffed pork loin is a surefire hit at your next cookout. Because pork loin is so lean, it is a great cut for stuffing with something moist. Butterflied, stuffed, and rolled before smoking, this dish has special occasion written all over it.

You have pork belly, but the procedure is the same.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

This may help you out. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKJS3bA2r...jUQibzLvTspOuU

Comment

Steven Raichlen has a recipe you might find interesting. Here is the link: https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/por...fed-pork-loin/

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! We are happy to have you.

I would follow the recipe that Henrik posted. That will be great with pork belly.

Here is what I do, I Score the skin with a knife and then tie it up. Place the pork belly on an elevated rack that is sitting on a baking sheet or something else to catch the fat. Then cook. Once it is finished cooking, take it out of the smoker and remove the strings, but leave it on the rack.
            This last part can be a dangerous, so be carful. I heat canola oil in a Dutch Oven, to about 350 F, then spoon it over the porketta. The skin will blister are fry right there! Sooooo good.

Comment

Welcome tbronson

Comment

I have made two. I rolled it up based on what I saw watching you tube videos, cutting some meat off the end so it looks like a hot dog when rolled and tied. I think it would be almost impossible to get the skin crunchy on a smoker. I cooked it following bon appetit, 500 degrees for 45 minutes then lower temo, maybe 350, until cooked to 150. Cooking time is going to differ from what they say because yours is gigantic compared to any recipe you find online. Make sure to roll it up a few days early so the salt can do its thing. Fennel pollen is delicious but expensive, fennel seeds will work fine. Make sure to tie it tight, I used a knife to stab holes in skin so I could sew it. Have fun, a full porchetta is a monster hunk of pig, but it is delicious.

Comment

I want to make the same thing for Easter! I've only had it twice in my life and it was so good! Looking for a recipe that uses the fat on top? Planning on making it on charcoal grill. Thanks for any advice on recipes :-)

Comment

https://youtu.be/o5qJ3MAPxS8 This video doesn't give quantities of spices, but is very informative.

Comment

Don't let the fancy word scare ya. It's just rolled pork roast.
                      Spread that belly and season it with however you want it to taste.
                      I like Salt, pepper and some heat like chipotle powder. You want some herbs, you do that.

Roll it tight, tie and season it outside as well.

Cooking temp, it works low and slow as well as higher temps. Just depends on whether you are using all belly or loin.
                      I prefer all belly porchetta.

Best cooking method is actually Sous vide a few days prior. Then reheat in smoker day of feast.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here