Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork tenderloin ham questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork tenderloin ham questions

I have cured and smoked a single pork tenderloin (about 1 pound) using the cure calculator and was very happy with the result. Now I would like to make a larger "ham" by tying two tenderloins together, thick end to thin end, into a thick tube to provide larger, rounder slices. Would appreciate some help with the following questions:

Should I cure separately or tied into the final form?

If tied should I use the total thickness in the calculator or the thickness of the thickest piece?

If I smoke the two tied together should they hold together when sliced or will they just fall into two pieces making the entire effort a waste of time?

Thanks for any help.

Meat that is tied together like that won’t hold together when untied or sliced.

Why don’t you consider a pork loin rather than tenderloin? A lot of stores sell a half pork loin that is 3 to 5 pounds. That would get you the larger diameter if you are making Canadian bacon or something similar.

The Canadian bacon recipe on this website suggests using the loin and not the tenderloin anyway.

Comment

You'd need to use Meat Glue. I too prefer the tenderloins, the loin was "meh" at best.

Comment

I'd cure them separately, then figure out how you want to join them. Is this a woodworking forum? Sorry, I got confused again!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          "Meat Anything" forum. Moo glue is most people's go to.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here