Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs too many

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs too many

Hey guys and gals, I need some input. I have a 22.5 Weber Kettle and a 18.5 Smokey Mountain. I have six slabs of baby backs to cook tomorrow. I need them done from 1:00 to 3:00 because everyone is not stopping by at the same time. Any advice??? I also have a Weber gas genesis but rarely use it except for warming. Planning to start about 6:00 in the morning. Temp will be 46 degrees no wind. Just popped the top off a Coors Banquet. What is in your glass?? LOL

Guy

Guy, advice on???

Timing?
    Cooker?

I'll take a shot:

If you dont have racks use bambo skewers to make them stand 3 per rack in the WSM. ( I'll explain if needed)

Have them on the hot smoker at 9:00-9:30 am

Pull them and wrap them in foil at 1:00-1:30pm

Cambro/Cooler Till you serve or sauce on the gasser or kettle.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 31, 2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

How can I get that many slabs on my equipment? Jon do you have a PBC?

Comment

Explain the bamboo skewers if you don't mind.

Comment

I use a 18.5 WSM

Standby I'll draw a pic

Give them 4hours at 225, you can wrap and hold them in the cooler for 3-4 hours BUT they will be fall off the bone in a few hours in there.

Use the skewer to stand 3 racks on their sides

Last edited by Jon Solberg; December 31, 2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that a football play or a rib play? Ahh yes, rib play...

Thanks

Comment

Or you can do the ring thing, this pic has to be a 22" but you get the idea. I dont like the roll up way as much but it is an option.

(photo by Konrad Haskins)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WSM_Rolled_Ribs_07.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	46904

Comment

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              I do 3 racks on a level but I use rib racks to do it. I did skewers before I had racks. I regularly do 6 racks per cook. I always budget 4 hours BUT mine are going to hold in the cooler for at least 2 hours before serving. They are always done when I wrap them in 4-41/2 hours

So which grate do you use? Top, bottom of both? I am planning to start at 6:00 am and have a hot smoker by 7:00 at the latest.

Comment

Rib racks.

Comment

Jon, what kind of fire do you start in your WSM? Soo donut, Pyramid or fuse? Don't you wish you had a PBC??

Comment

3 racks on top grate

3 rakes on bottom grate.

It you put them on a 7:00am I predicate that will be done by 11:00-12:00

I alway budget 4 hours at 225.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                    Jon Solberg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will need to trim the two outside a bit rack of ribs a bit shorter to fit in the smoker

I have one set of rib racks so I am good for one level.

Comment

Thanks Jon I am all set now. Thanks for everything. Glad you were online. Happy New Year.

Comment

Good luck man, sorry if I rambled a bit in my reply.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 1, 2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Hey, Guy and Jon, I have the 22.5 WSM. I've been cutting my ribs in half as they don't quite fit on my 22.5. How do you fit yours? Also, I smoke them for 3+, crutch them in foil with a bit of apple juice (I also use apple wood chips) for 2- hours, then back to smoking in the rib rack for about an hour to firm up the bark. (321 method). Good luck, and please let us know how they turn out.
                        Last edited by richinlbrg; January 1, 2015, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here