Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Chops - Practice Run for Easter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Chops - Practice Run for Easter

Easter planning has begun. Was thinking about filling the PBC with chicken halves, but wanted some kind of pork also. Figured I'd drag out the cheap propane smoker for that. Ribs are out (after ribs from the PBC, I'll never smoke them in anything else. Until MCS kicks in again, anyway). Thought about chops, but it had been a while...so it was time for a practice run.

Went to the store, bought a small pork loin. Cut it into about 1 to 1 1/4 chops. Dry brined this morning using two different store bought rubs but no extra salt.

Fired up the smoker this afternoon. Filled the water pan, threw a chunk of cherry into the box, and got the chops in above a drip pan at 3:30 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	468458

Kept the smoker at about 225 F for the cook.

Wifi therm read 155 F after only 1 hr 10 min. Much earlier than expected. Double checked with a cheap quick-read therm to confirm. They were all 155-160 ish. Had Wife come out to slice into one to get her approval. They were ready.

Into a couple pans, covered with foil, and into the oven to keep warm at 4:45 PM.

The rest of supper was ready a bit after 6:00 PM. Chops were tender and still very moist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	468457

Wife and kids wolfed them down. Dry run was a success. Easter looks like chops and chicken for 16 or so family and friends.

Looking good

Comment

Good lookin' cook.

Comment

Gotta love edible dry runs.

Comment

Beautiful cook!

Comment

Oink and cluck it is !!!!!

Comment

Great lookin meal! Nothin like a good thick chop.

Comment

Looks great! I love practice food.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice looking cook! You had me at the peas! I love peas they are a very underrated and underused vegetable as a side dish.

Comment

Always good to practice. You’re ready.

Comment

So why do we eat ham to celebrate the King of the Jews? I don't get it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here