Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Run at Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket Syndicate
    commented on 's reply
    Are you rinsing after the curing process?

• djl
    commented on 's reply
    I'd think that you would need to Increase the amount of salt. You would need to increase the time if the middle wasn't getting cured.

• GigiH60
    commented on 's reply
    The 2nd batch used TenderQuick as part of its recipe, and called for 7 days of brining. The maple bacon I brined for 4 days. I think Meathead’s recipes have less salt than the Art of Manliness did.

• HorseDoctor
    commented on 's reply
    Not much help here because I always do a freshwater soak for an hour after the cure to get salt levels down. If you rinse or salt after cure, don't... or at least don't do as good of a job. How was the cure recipe or time for batch 2 different. If that was too salty, there should have been a difference. Split the difference???

• GigiH60
    replied
    Hey guys,
    I’m on my 3rd batch of bacon and have some questions. The 1st and 3rd batches were from Meathead’s recipes, the "regular" and the maple bacon ones. (We won’t discuss the 2nd. It was the recipe from "The Art of Manliness" site and was so salty that you needed a glass of water after eating 1 slice).
    Anyway, for both my Meathead batches, we all agreed that they weren’t quite salty enough. Close, but we would like it just a little more.
    My question to y’all is this: to increase the saltiness, should I 1) increase the time in the cure,
    2) increase the amount of regular salt in the cure, or 3) both?
    I’ll be interested to see what others think.
    Gigi

Leave a comment:

• Brisket Syndicate
    replied
    Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Brisket Syndicate
    commented on 's reply
    I put it in the pit a little before sunset, and it was finished a little after nine that night.

• Mudkat
    replied
    How good does that look? Great job!

Leave a comment:

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    Chuck in Charlotte - I do the same. Don’t own a meat slicer so slice by hand. often I cut off 2-3inch chunk off of the length so they can fit in my pan and the cut those chunks into lardons for omelets, pasta, etc

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Ya had me at picture #4, 5,&6. Was it done in daylight or dark 🤨🙄😎?

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    I only need to see bacon in print to salivate, those pics take salivation to a whole new level!

Leave a comment:

• Oakgrovebacon
    replied
    That looks very good! Your are in for some great eating!

Leave a comment:

• NortheastAl
    replied
    Yours looks fantastic. I made some last week using Meathead's recipe. I bought a belly with the skin on and found it still had part of the rib cartilage in it. Was st Costco the other day and bought a nice trimmed one. It’s in the freezer awaiting nicer weather.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck in Charlotte
    commented on 's reply
    I hand slice it, and usually end up with some thin, some thin and some just right for frying. I also cut some into lardons for pizza and salads.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here