Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Run at Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,
    I’m on my 3rd batch of bacon and have some questions. The 1st and 3rd batches were from Meathead’s recipes, the "regular" and the maple bacon ones. (We won’t discuss the 2nd. It was the recipe from "The Art of Manliness" site and was so salty that you needed a glass of water after eating 1 slice).
    Anyway, for both my Meathead batches, we all agreed that they weren’t quite salty enough. Close, but we would like it just a little more.
    My question to y’all is this: to increase the saltiness, should I 1) increase the time in the cure,
    2) increase the amount of regular salt in the cure, or 3) both?
    I’ll be interested to see what others think.
    Gigi

Comment

• GigiH60
      GigiH60 commented
      Editing a comment
      The 2nd batch used TenderQuick as part of its recipe, and called for 7 days of brining. The maple bacon I brined for 4 days. I think Meathead’s recipes have less salt than the Art of Manliness did.

• djl
      djl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd think that you would need to Increase the amount of salt. You would need to increase the time if the middle wasn't getting cured.

• Brisket Syndicate
      Brisket Syndicate commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you rinsing after the curing process?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here