Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork-a-licious Day Featuring Pirate Scott Glazed Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork-a-licious Day Featuring Pirate Scott Glazed Ribs

As you all may or may not remember, I was asked to be a test guinea pig for one of Pirate Scott 's new sauces, the Bourbon Cherry Ghost Pepper version;

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs 08.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	466126

I planned to use it as a glaze for my next rib cook which was due in the queue this past weekend. Since Pirate Scott himself could not witness nor authenticate the review, his sauce will act as his proxy. So let's see if he's up to the rib challenge.....

Here's Pirate Scott helping me get the pits and meat up to temperature. I've got a couple of racks of ribs and two pork steaks cooking on a couple of different cookers, ribs shall be the focus however......

Name:	ribs 01.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	466127

As you can see I'm cooking at about 250* for four hours, spritzing with an organic apple vinegar about every hour. I salt brined overnight and applied my rib rub prior to the cook. Here's Pirate Scott helping me check the meat and give it a good spritz.....

Name:	ribs 02.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	466128

At the four hour mark I removed the ribs to foil wrap. Here's Pirate Scott helping me make life a little sweeter during that final hour of cooking.....

Name:	ribs 03.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	466131

Now for the grand finale !!! I mix up a good portion of Pirate Scott's sauce with a little bit of bbq sauce to get a thickened glaze. Applied it to the ribs and returned to the cooker for about another 1/2 hour to set that glaze......

Name:	ribs 04.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	466129

And finally the net results ..... Pirate Scott Glazed ribs ready to be sliced and plated ......

Name:	ribs 05.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	466132

Name:	ribs 06.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	466133

AND FOR THE REVIEW ........

PROS -
    Very interesting flavor profile, rich with bourbon overtone with sweet and hot undertones in the background. The combination with meat is probably best enjoyed as a finishing sauce. Really helped complement the fat in the pork. Would probably do even better with a rich cut of beef, like beef ribs or brisket.

CONS - The only thing I'd personally like to see is a little less pronounced bourbon taste, which hits your palate immediately, and a little more heat from the ghost peppers. Also not necessarily a knock on the intent of the sauce, but it's thin like a finishing sauce, not thick like a bbq sauce. Best used like you would a hot sauce after the fact.

All in all I really like this sauce, it's an interesting combination. Love to taste some of Pirate Scott's other concoctions. As a result, I give this a big Troutman thumbs up for originality and flavor !!!!

Name:	ribs 07.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	466130

THANKS PIRATE SCOTT FOR HELPING MAKE THIS A PORK-A-LICIOUS DAY !!!

STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS !!!! TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!!!

Troutman two fins up!

Comment

Thanks. I’m going to try his sauce on a rack of pork ribs this weekend.

Comment

That's a pretty spot on awesome review. I tried mine on everything. I wholeheartedly agree with the glaze thing on bigger beef or meat profile.

my only contrast to you was mine seemed more cherry/sweet and less bourbon forward than your description.

I also mixed a little with pulled chuckie and fresh jalapeno rings in a tortilla. That was real good.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          HouseHomey yours was a different batch, how did you like the heat in yours? Would you say the Bourbon was too Light? I need to do a Side by side taste test with the two Batches and see if I can figure it out. I think it is great on Chuck too.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Pirate Scott my heat was not too much.ni had sweet forward. Ate that S&@$ up though.

Nicely written post. Very informative. Will have to keep my eye peeled for this.

Comment

Thanx for the review. I haven't tried mine yet, but hope to soon.

Comment

Troutman Thank You for your review! I have to agree with you on the Bourbon Taste being a little Too forward. I am not sure why that happened in this Batch. As for the heat profile It may be that the Peppers were Frozen Vs the First Batch which was Fresh. I have a couple ideas to tweak the recipe but unfortunately I will have to wait till Late Summer to try them. If you can get some Dried Ghost Pepper Flakes try using them on your Ribs to up the heat a little.

Comment

Nice review and great pics of that fine looking grub!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here