Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Blonder Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cdd315
    replied
    Wow, nice cook Jon. Love the blackened meteor pictures and appears really juicy! Good smoke ring

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Here's the review:

8 lbs Shoulder in 2 parts
    1/4 tsp salt to 1/16 tsp baking soda per lbs
    4 day brine 16 hour smoke
    W/16 oz cherry/pecan mix at start
    225° 18.5 WSM

Served with:
    Buns.
    Simple Creamy Southern Coleslaw with Mayonnaise
    Jazzy Hog Competition Barbecue Glaze on the side

I did notice much more smoke ring red in the meat but it was not a clearly defined ring. A bit like marbling It looked very nice.

Bark was great. I do think the baking soda made the bark firmer for lack of a better word to describe it.

I did pick up a very slight aftertaste from the baking soda. That faint metallic, irony kind of one. No one in the group noticed even when asked after the meal. The slaw could have killed it off . I didnt have any. I'll adjust the amount as Dr. B describes.

Would I do it again on shoulder? Honestly dont know. I will play around some more with other protein.

Focus group loved it and asked for it next week. I said no. : )

Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 5, 2015, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    Nice bark, good color. I'll have to wait and see what the focus group says but today was a good day for me.

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    7:53pm....

190°

8:48pm....

Time to deliver and pull.

Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 4, 2015, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cdd315
    replied
    Oh, this is going to be well worth it I'll bet!!

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    12:50....

Still sittin in the stall at 163° No spritzin required

edit:

2:04....

​Super stall, IT back down to 154°

4:55pm...

Outside temp is falling and the winds are building 154°

5:43....

154°

Just did a hot turn refuel with 2/3 chimney. The wind is sucking the life out of it. Grabbed a table out of the shed for a fast windbreak.

6:47pm....

174° starting to push threw it. Bumped lunch back to a time not yet known.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 4, 2015, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    Had them on at 4:30 Lunch is around 7:00pm. With the wet heavy air and the size of these hunks I'm betting on a 14 hour cook.

This things cooking really fast. I may be spitzin if I need to slow the roll.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 4, 2015, 08:32 AM.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Wow, when did you put them on? Good to stall early if you're trying to do no-wrap. Unless it's for lunch today??

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    7:20..... I was hoping it be a while before this hit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stall_light 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	48547

Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 4, 2015, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    I'm shipping most of this off to my rib "focus group" (aka GFs coworkers) for their lunch. Some will get vac sealed in small portions for bean add ins. Some will get in my belly as well. Oh yeah!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    You & I will both be eating pulled pork for a few days. I still have 4 lbs roughly in a big bowl in the fridge. It will be my work lunch the next couple nights starting tonight. (Dang it, why you'd have to go and bring up work?)

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks man! Really hoping to see a couple of meteorites at the end of the day. I just love that. Its magic to me. I don't think I've done any butt in 3-4 month.

• Huskee
    replied
    Enjoy the cook Jon. There's something childlike about an all day smoke, gets me giddy every time. I get to do it again later this coming week, 2 more racks of ribs in the fridge need cooked by the 10th. (Freeze them? HECK NO, cookem)

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Jerod I've been strongly considering getting a color coded Mav too. It just seems right you know.

• Jon Solberg
    commented on 's reply
    lol lol lol

(about time you got a real grill heheheheeh)
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 3, 2015, 09:23 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here