Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoisin Glazed BBs by a one legged smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoisin Glazed BBs by a one legged smoker

My new bionic knee is coming along well, but I have 4 more months of PT ahead. No way I’m waiting that long to get back at this! Patience isn’t a forte of mine, but I may have bitten off a bit much today given I can’t take 2 steps without crutches. SWMBO picked up a 3 pack of BBs at Sam’s Club. With the help of my 9 year old we got them dry brining at 5pm last night and dry rubbed with MMD at 9am this morning. My wife helped situate my grills on the deck before they left for gymnastics at 10am, and I had the ribs on my 26” w/ SNS w/ water, Weber briquettes and applewood at temp by 11am. My setup was a little sloppy, but it had started to rain and I just can’t get around easily yet - especially on a wet surface! Planned on a 5 hour smoke, and stayed between 210F and 240F with it settling in at 238F nicely. I really appreciated how the SNS reduces the need to vent tweak! Just one adjustment was all I needed. At 1:30 I turned them and was blown away when they started falling apart, never had BBs do that before - these were going to be ready early. I hit them with the glaze at 3pm and took them off about a half hour later. Guests didn’t arrive til 5pm, so I held them in the oven at 170F til then. Hit them once more with the hoisin glaze and some sesame seeds. They were awesome - significant bark (family preference), and tugged clean off the bone. Had them with a salad with an Asian citrus dressing and some garlic jasmin rice. I’ll take it... and now I’ll take some pain meds too!

The hoisin glaze is based based on a Weber recipe we tweak a bit, it makes enough for 3 racks:
    • 1 cup hoisin sauce
    • ¼ cup honey
    • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons grated peeled, fresh ginger
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    • 2 teaspoons curry powder
    • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes.
    Attached Files

Great pics. I bet it's nice to have a meal like that given your situation, thanks to the family for helping!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      You are sooooo right Huskee! You guys have turned us into BBQ elitists - takeout from the local joints just doesn’t measure up! 😂👍🏻

Way to get after it! How long out of surgery are you? Had a new hip done a little over a year ago but hear that is a breeze compared to a knee. Do what the PT folks tell you and you’ll soon be back at it in style! Good luck!!!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor I embellished a bit, it’s not entirely new, I ruptured my quad tendon, pulled it off my kneecap so they reattached it for me. Surgery was Jan 23rd, PT twice a week. Embracing the pain, and it’s going well!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch! Sympathies on that one!!! Probably worse recovery than a knee replacement. Bite the bullet and do what the PT folks tell you. Again, good luck!

Great cook my brother. I gotta give that glaze recipe a try. Sounds delicious.
    That last pic. OUCH. Hang in there. You’ll be good as new before you know it.

Comment

Looks great, glad you are on the mend.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Great lookin' cook.

Comment

Good lookin cook, especially the Pro applying the wub on the wibs.

Comment

The best therapy!!

Comment

That a girl, get those hands in there! I love it!! Sexy looking scar there. Make sure you make up a good story to go with it.

ribs looking good to me!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                  FishTalesNC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah he left me a good zipper on that knee. Still formulating a story gone awry around landing a swordfish...

Nicely done.

Comment

Gotta try me some ribs of the Asian persuasion, they look great. And hat's off to your sous chef, I mean future pit master!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here