Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Way The Other Half Does It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Way The Other Half Does It

My lovely wife of 24 years is originally from the Philippines. She and her ex-pat community still religious cook Filipino food from back home receipes; like adobo, inasal, pansit, lumpias...the list goes on and on. What they really pride themselves in, however, and what shows up at every grand occasion is lechon....or roasted suckling pig. I would have to say it is probably their national dish, although I'm sure I'd get arguments on that. As soon as I figure out how to convert some of the dishes to traditional grilling or barbecuing, I'll post some of them. I thought in the meantime you would be interested in seeing how they cook pig in the Philippines.

It remains a backyard tradition to cook lechon on a spit turning it over an open fire......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lechon-pit 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	430.0 KB ID:	464009

...the meat is amazingly moist and delicious but its the skin that's to die for. I would just eat a meal of skin if I could. Given the fact that city dwellers, like in Manila, don't have the luxury of a back yard, they have grown a whole cottage industry of preparing suckling pig for all manner of occasions. Here a guy has taken it to a new extreme. He has like 38 spits going at any one time. He has them rigged to a motor that turns a sprocket that turns a long chain that turns the spit rods. The rest is just tending to coals.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lechon-pit 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	164.9 KB ID:	464012

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_58186.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.2 KB ID:	464011
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_58185.jpg Views:	1 Size:	154.7 KB ID:	464010

In an age where we spend hundreds of dollars on cookers and gadgets and sweat the small change, the other half is definitely eaten good in the neighborhood at little or no expense (outside the pig itself !!). I'll try to share some recipes that adapt well to grilling and perhaps smoking in the near future. Hope you enjoyed seeing this, or at least found it interesting !!

TROUTMAN STEVE......
    Last edited by Troutman; March 7, 2018, 12:15 PM.

Awesome post, Steve! Sign me up!

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      And what are you holding in your arms??
      Sorry couldn’t resist.

Looks like a very fine tradition indeed!

Comment

That looks GOOD!!

Comment

Wow, that is really cool. I can't wait to hear more.

Comment

i really want to try one those suckling pigs one of these days

Comment

Wow! How cool is that!?! Excellent post!

Comment

I have always been fascinated by the lechon cook. I came across a really cool video not long ago about this. I'll try and dig it up! Dang starving now!

Comment

Fantastic, Troutman !
                Thanks fer sharin!

Comment

I have friends in the phillipines and the city next to me has the largest Filipino community in the US so I am very familiar with the food. Lechon is delectable.
                  This photo below was a lechon pig I decided to dine on seven years ago while there. It was just sitting on the side of the road like no big deal. Click image for larger version  Name:	1F224831-AAB2-4B96-BA52-A4D3E6228925.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	464212
                  Last edited by Sfdrew28; March 7, 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love his slicing knife! That really looks good.

• Butchman
                    Butchman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Snoot!

• Sfdrew28
                    Sfdrew28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Butchman snoot???

Thanks for sharing 👍🍺 Troutman

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I think we get too caught up in our gadgets sometimes.

I’m curious... how big of a tank and how many SV circulators would you need for one of those? Asking for a friend.

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well my 20,000 gallon swimming pool and a couple of boat motors might do the trick

• bardsleyque
                      bardsleyque commented
                      Editing a comment
                      agreed!

That all looks delicious. I remember when I was a yout, our church did a roasted suckling pig on a spit at the fall festival. It was outstanding.

The last picture in the OP looks like some kind of twisted carnival game, though.

Comment

Many years ago I had a Filipino boss who had a party at his house. We cooked a whole pig on a big hand cranked beer fueled spit. It was absolutely fabulous. When I win the lottery and have a huge yard I am going to duplicate this. I'll buy the beer and the pig, and invite a bunch of hand crankers.

Comment

Really cool, thanks for posting!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here