Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Crowning Achievement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Crowning Achievement

Was going to do a pork crown roast over the holidays, it's just such a fancy, elegant presentation of what are essentially pork chops. Bought two 8 bone center cut pork roasts to build my crown, but never got to it. Those roasts have been staring at me since then so I pulled one of them to do a small roast just for Sunday dinner. Buying the untrimmed roasts meant some trimming but crown roasts are going anywhere from $6-8/lb trimmed up, while I picked these babies up for closer to $2/lb.

So first step was to french out the bone tips. That's done by cutting off the top one inch of meat cover then carefully cutting out the meat in between the bones to give that nice exposed appearance. There was also some flap meat and the usual fat and silver skin on the meat side of the roast that had to be trimmed. All that went into a baggie for sausage or whatever. Finally cut out the chine bone ends and scored the ribs. Scoring does two things; allows the roast to be turned onto itself and also exposes more of the inner chop to seasoning and smoke.

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	463.9 KB ID:	463177

Once trimmed and scored I stand it on end and fold it back on itself for tying......

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	369.4 KB ID:	463178

Notice too I opted to leave the silver skin cover on the bones. I was concerned the bones might pop out of the meat otherwise. It was easily removed and discarded after cooking.......

Here's that crowning achievement. Still just a bunch of chops but with a little wow factor......

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	562.8 KB ID:	463179

Went ahead and gave it it's overnight salting along with, yea that's the rolled brisket point that you all voted to have me smoke like traditional brisket......

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	430.6 KB ID:	463180

Went ahead and smoked both on my 18" WSM. Also made the inaugural launch of my new Pit Viper fan and Fire Board controller. Both performed well and were....well awesome sauce !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	557.3 KB ID:	463181

Crown came out BEAUTIMUSLY !! Smoked it with applewood at 225* for about 4 hours to an internal of 140*. When it got up to about 130*, I pulled it and glazed it with some pineapple habanero sauce for a sticky, sweet heat finish.......

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1,019.3 KB ID:	463182

Served with some basmati rice and some sous vide corn, we were eaten good in the neighborhood !!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	466.3 KB ID:	463183

Oh and Mr. Briskie, that little rolled point came out fairly good as well. Still moist after getting it up to about 203*. That's sammies for lunch for yours truly......

Click image for larger version  Name:	crown 08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	397.3 KB ID:	463184

KEEPING MY SMOKE BLUE & MY PIT VIPER BLOWING.....TROUTMAN STEVE IS OUT !!

Last edited by Troutman; March 5, 2018, 09:36 AM.

That IS a crowning achievement! Another great Troutman cook and write up!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks you sir, I really like pork this way.

Lovely, Troutman, just lovely! I saved the thin end of point from this past weekend's cook to do a brisket roll. Do you think cheese roll in the middle would be too much?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all, in fact I was thinking along the lines of a fatty for my next one, sort of like a German Rouladen.

Looks good!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Awwww....didn't get a "beautiful"

beautyful! You can take that to the Pit!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Fabulous! Great writeup and great photos! Basmati rice is my goto rice nowadays.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Henrik (don't know how to say it in Swedish, although I should know)

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman "tak"? (no Google, just memory)

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You got it! We spell it "tack" (pronounced like the English word 'tuck', as in 'tuck in'). "tak", pronounced with a long 'a', like the English word 'talk', actually means roof :-)

Two awesome pieces of meat. Nicely cooked!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Brisket so-so, pork was really good

The crown pork roast is inspiring! Will be looking for one of those soon.

Also, the briskie so needed the German touch 😁 hahaha. Enjoy your sammies!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I know right, I haven't forgotten the rouladen brother

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Crown roast for Easter. Doing my research now. Need to go get 2 racks for this. Going to smoke it and then sear it somehow. But can’t wait for this!

Did you smoke in a pan or just on the rack? For drippings is why I’m asking.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a small rack that I put into a foil pan to catch drippings. I didn’t get very much, made what gravey I could with flour, a little stock and some white wine.

You have some skills sir,

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Man gotta eat ......

Well look at that! Beautiful cook!! Has my mouth watering...

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks !!

That looks amazing. Kind of makes me want to watch Lord of the Rings.

Comment

The pork and the beef look great! Good job.

Comment

I thought the crown looked purdy enough before cooking. Then, ya went ahead & cooked the darn thing. Pit nirvana!
        Liked how you blamed us for the "other" cook.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          It was ya'll's fault, I wanted to sous vide que the thing to medium rare...lol !!! I had like zero votes for that option. Guess that's the weirdo in me, I'm still playing with my food !!!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Just remember the votin thing around here is rigged.

Moa oh Mad does that look great! Super job!

Comment

"If I were king of the piglets! Not prince, not duke, not oirl..."!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Bert Lahr ?

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            You bet!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here