Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Shoulder- Injection or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Shoulder- Injection or Not?

The plan is to smoke a shoulder on Sunday.

I have some Cimarron Docs Sweet Rib Rub & Bar-B-Q Seasoning and was planing on doing a 50/50 rub with that and the R Butts R Smokin Butt Kick'n Chicken (only other rub I have).

I tried this combo on chicken and liked it because I got some sweet with heat.

My question is this: should I inject the shoulder first and let it sit overnight? If "yes", the plan was to use Chris Lilly's Pork Injection which is:
    Apple Juice
    Water
    Sugar (I'm assuming brown sugar)
    Salt
    Worcestershire

Should the sugar be brown or white? Should I inject? Not doing any sort of competition style... just want to smoke it for 8-9 hours and feast.

I don't inject, just dry brine with coarse salt overnight.

Comment

I do inject.. with italian dressing

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a new one. I might have to try that sometime.

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Just remember to strain off the solid parts first. Spinaker

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Good call Elton's BBQ

I love the taste of the natural meat without the injection.

Comment

I do not inject, but I move to a foil pan after about 4 hours and that saves lots of meat juices. You give up some bark, but still very good and moist!

Comment

Do not inject my pork. But do use a rub with brown sugar. When the wife isn't looking, I'll sprinkle on a little more.

Comment

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Hehehe. Yup.

What are you using to smoke that shoulder? How big is it? What temp are you planning on? I ask these questions because they all affect cooking time, and 8 or 9 hours may or may not be enough.

Comment

I don't inject!I rub the night before,then smoke on!

Comment

it doesn't matter too much imo. if you do inject, use white sugar for the injection. what I like is the Smithfield Extra Tender pork butts which are brined in a solution so you can just add rub and cook. Try those without injecting if you can find them.

Comment

I don't inject either. I think it just makes a mess. I really don't ever notice a difference.

Comment

I've tried injecting with apple juice and/or butter....I cannot say I've noticed a difference vs. not injecting and I've abandoned the practice. ymmv.

Comment

I never inject, just rub. The rub and smoke are all the added flavoring the pork needs. I also never wrap or crutch my butts.

Comment

I have tried injecting, but I like it better without injecting.

Comment

I don't inject. I injected a pork shoulder once with a well known commercial product just to try it. Did not care for the flavor. IMHO: Even the leanest of pork butts seem to have enough fat that injections are not needed anyway.

Comment

As you see, it can either be done either way. I don't and have never had issues with dry pork. This assumes I gave it long enough to get to probe tender and gave it time in a faux cambro which has taken 16+ hours on some and less on others.

I did pull them to soon in some early attempts and had to resort to chopped pork to get people served. A good finishing sauce can save you in that case.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here