Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Types of pork ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Types of pork ribs

Do I cook all different cuts of pork ribs the same, when reading a recipe? When a rib recipe calls for centercut ribs, and I have baby back ribs, do I still go by the same process?

You do cook them the same but the baby back ribs won’t take as long to cook IF they are true baby backs instead of loin back ribs.

Comment

Yep, cook them the same until they're done to your liking. As DeeDubs says depending on their weight (thickness) some will just take longer than others. In my experience some take 4hrs some take 7hrs.

Comment

Just curious.....what recipe are you looking at? We have a ton of great recipes here.

And let us see those results!

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
          Blackshirt BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably Last Meal Ribs

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great recipe! You will be a happy camper. I like to use both St. Louis Style and Baby backs for that recipe. More towards the STL side for my favorite. Blackshirt BBQ

I had this same question. Thanks for this info!

Comment

Another question.....

my baby backs weigh 4 lbs and are fairly thick. Last time I did ribs, I cooked STL style, they were 2.5 lbs and took 6 hrs. Any idea on how many hours this one might take?

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Since your 6 hours for the spares matches what it takes in my BGE at ~225, I'll hazard a guess for the back ribs around 5 hours. Start checking no later than 4.5.

Thanks EdF.

Comment

A 4 lb rib will take more than 4 hrs. @ 225 I would wager around 6+ hrs.

Comment

How do you know when they are done? These have a lot of meat on them. I could check the temp I guess, or do I just go by the bend/flex text?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F274BE92-9587-43D7-A217-F3CF157D547D.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	462807Click image for larger version

Name:	EBE8A764-0A65-4CFC-8203-C00757A5F035.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	462808Click image for larger version

Name:	8AA708C2-9C27-412A-BECC-D415203442AA.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	462809Click image for larger version

Name:	E5A4A725-0A97-48DA-9873-3E1151245923.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	462810Click image for larger version

Name:	6BA3AFB7-86FE-4912-8757-029D7813C98D.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	462811Click image for larger version

Name:	101E007E-B2F6-40A5-AFD7-88A7766143BE.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	462812Click image for larger version

Name:	3EE903BD-3B71-4091-902A-3BBC1AF2FBBE.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	462813Click image for larger version

Name:	F1BCBB27-8F0B-4A9E-BCBA-B9565C4847A2.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	462814

Comment

Well, I attempted to use the bend test, and they fell apart! 4 lbs at about 240 (avg) took 5 1/2 hours and they lived up to their name!!! Last Meal Ribs!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look great!

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If they fell apart, they were a little overdone for competition, but that's better than underdone for eating! Congrats!

• RandomAccess
                    RandomAccess commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look really good! The best advice I have taken is starting a cooking logbook. Every cook goes in there with all information and final results including time. I refer to that thing all the time when planning a cook. Invaluable. Meathead talks about somewhere in this site. Keep smoking away!!!!

Broke in half actually. Good thing I’m only competing with myself! Haha

Comment

They look great!

Comment

Well you passed the pic test! Gooood lookin!

Comment

Look good. Blackshirt BBQ are you Nebraska fan?

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
                          Blackshirt BBQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes I am! From Crete, NE. Moved to TN in 2000
                          Last edited by Blackshirt BBQ; March 4, 2018, 07:47 PM.

• Blackshirt BBQ
                          Blackshirt BBQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I have a friend here who used to live in Hays, KS. His name is Jack Dylon Johnson. His Dad is John Johnson.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here