Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Louis Pork Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Your profile already shows your support Donw. And it’s always WUSTL. MBA 2005.

• Red Man
    replied
    I love searing then braising pork steaks. I usually do it in my CI skillet. I’ve never used bbq sauce. I usually do it for a pasta or rice dish. I might braise with some onions, peppers, garlic, mushrooms, maybe some chicken stock or Marsala wine, red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar or any other flavorful liquid. They come out great!

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    I think I’m going to be eating a lot more pork steaks soon. One of my grandsons is enrolling at WUSL in the Fall.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    Snoots over steaks. But nice cook.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    Thanks for posting now I have another thing to try!

Leave a comment:

• treesmacker
    commented on 's reply
    So, where are your pics?

• DaveP
    replied
    St Louis native here and grew up on pork steaks. It was about the only thing my dad grilled. As a kid I didn’t know you could grill anything else! My dad grilled directly over lump charcoal and cooked them to death. Braising in pan was for the winters when it was too cold to grill.

Even though the Mauls warehouse was in my backyard, my mom made up a doctored Open Pit recipe that I never got. Now I season with salt and paper about an hour before putting on the Traeger at 250 for hours and half or so (depending on thickness). Keeps them moist without braising. Then slather the sauce for another 20 minutes or so. Now my favorite prepared sauce is Sweet Baby Ray’s original.

Pork steaks remain one of my favorite meats.

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Good post always nice to get new ideas. I bet these would benefit from being brined first.

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    I go to St Louis once a year (live in Dallas area) and we hit a BBQ joint at least once over the 3 day weekend. We wen to Salt + Smoke last year and it was outstanding. Excellent Q and the best whiskey selection I've ever seen at a restaurant.

Leave a comment:

• jgg85234
    replied
    Definite on the apple cider vinegar. Wife is absolutely certain that's what made the authentic taste she remembers. They were good.

Best regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• btuckertx
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Another image from my cook.
    Have tried these a few times in the past, always came out dry. Can't believe I didn't think of braising in sauce and beer (and some cider vinegar?). Will let you know how they turn out tomorrow night.

Leave a comment:

• jgreen
    replied
    You just gave me something new to try. Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely do that soon.

Leave a comment:

• jgg85234
    replied
    Safeway had them on sale. Since my wife is from St. Louis, she wanted to try some. I've tried a few times in the past, and she said they tasted like Pork Chops. Since her parents always burned them to death her memory is from restaurants, not home cooking.

Studied recipes yesterday, and added one ingredient to what I've done before.

Apple Cider Vinegar mixed into the BBQ sauce that I used to baste the steaks.

She said that these were really good (she ate a lot more meat than normal). And, they had the right flavor for authentic St. Louis pork steaks. So, the secret ingredient is Apple Cider Vinegar

Direct heat on my KJ Classic with the grills in the top position. Moved them down and turned on the fan at the end to give the steaks a slight sear. Cook at about 275 on the built in thermometer. Actually, I took the steaks off while the fan revved up the coals.

No pictures, as I didn't think it was going to be a memorable dinner. But, there's 2 more in the freezer, so when I cook them I'll be sure to record the event.

Best regards,
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• dshaffes
    replied
    I'll throw some BBQ Rub on the Pork steaks prior to searing.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Burns
    replied
    No, I personally don't put any on them but you definitely could. I have seen people occasionally pour beer on the pork steaks before they go in the sauce. Salt and pepper could be a good addition but I just haven't bothered.

Originally posted by Bob's BBQ View Post
    Any other seasonings other than the braising liquid?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here