Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Louis Pork Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St. Louis Pork Steaks

Afternoon,

Not much of an active poster but more of an active stalker on the forms since I joined a few years ago. I grew up in St. Louis, MO where BBQ is a pretty big deal even though the city and surrounding area is usually skipped over in discussions on prominent BBQ locations. St. Louis is known to consume more BBQ sauce than any other city in the U.S. One of my favorite dishes that my father regularly made when I was growing up is St. Louis style Pork Steaks, which I have seen discussed on here a few times.

Thick cuts of pork butt that are seared on both sides and quickly cooked through. They are put into a roasting pan with sauce that has been diluted to about 50% with beer or sometimes your choice of soda such as orange or Dr. Pepper. I cover my roasting pan with foil and turn one burner on low to maintain about 225 degrees to where the sauce and steaks are lightly simmering. Cooking time will vary but it takes about 1 hour within the roasting pan for the four steaks I was preparing. I also rearranged all the steaks about every 20 minutes to make sure each had equal cooking time on the bottom. My goal when cooking these is to get a really tender steak that just falls apart. I stop cooking when I pick up one end of a steak and it falls apart. That tells me I reached the tenderness I am looking for.
    Attached Files

Another image from my cook.
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks/sounds DELICIOUS!!!
      (Of course, I'm originally from MO)

Comment

Looks very familiar, I have had them that
        way for as long as I can remember. Great looking In your pics.

Comment

Love St. Louis pork steaks. My father in-law taught me that method, except he would sear them again at the end of the cook right before serving. Also, he would often use a local BBQ sauce called Maul's in combination with beer (Bud, of course) for the braising liquid ...delicious!

p.s. - I totally agree that St. Louis is underrated and gets overlooked as a BBQ town.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I do a lot of Boston Butts and have been meaning to try those steaks. You are giving me motivation.

Comment

More of a KC bbq guy but these are good. Asked my local meat cutter to slice a pork butt up like this. He’d never heard of such a thing but he did it. That’s been almost a year ago and now he runs specials on pork steak. Bbq’d one last night and they are good

Comment

Indoors, my Ma used ta simmer/braise (in bbq sauce/juices) these up in a CI skillet, then finish under th broiler...Yum!
                  Out of doors, jus like above, only we had charcoal and/or wood cookers...
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; February 26, 2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ditto

Those looks yum!

I don't know if this is the same thing, but Malcom Reed did some grilled pork steaks that looked great.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looks delicious

Comment

Mauls was a big deal in St. Louis for a while. I think it was also the first commercially distributed BBQ sauce in the U.S. There was a scare recently because the business was sold and production temporarily stopped. My dad back in the day would buy it in big 1 gallon glass jugs.

Originally posted by dshaffes View Post
                        Love St. Louis pork steaks. My father in-law taught me that method, except he would sear them again at the end of the cook right before serving. Also, he would often use a local BBQ sauce called Maul's in combination with beer (Bud, of course) for the braising liquid ...delicious!

p.s. - I totally agree that St. Louis is underrated and gets overlooked as a BBQ town.

Comment

Any other seasonings other than the braising liquid?

Comment

No, I personally don't put any on them but you definitely could. I have seen people occasionally pour beer on the pork steaks before they go in the sauce. Salt and pepper could be a good addition but I just haven't bothered.

Originally posted by Bob's BBQ View Post
                            Any other seasonings other than the braising liquid?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here