Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on finishing ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on finishing ribs

First post, kinda...except for my intro post

Since I bought the KJ back in June I have been working on getting my ribs nailed down. It is still a work in progress but getting better. Until now my sole focus has been the ribs themselves and I didn't really worry about the sides. I just cooked something easy in the house. I would like to try some sides on the pit.

My question is, once the ribs are ready can I pull them put them on the side, bring the pit up to a higher temp to cook something else, and then sauce and sizzle them prior to serving? If so how long can they sit on the side?

faux cambro! wrap the ribs in foil then wrap in towels and hold in a cooler

Comment

Originally posted by Marinerdevil View Post
      First post, kinda...except for my intro post

Since I bought the KJ back in June I have been working on getting my ribs nailed down. It is still a work in progress but getting better. Until now my sole focus has been the ribs themselves and I didn't really worry about the sides. I just cooked something easy in the house. I would like to try some sides on the pit.

My question is, once the ribs are ready can I pull them put them on the side, bring the pit up to a higher temp to cook something else, and then sauce and sizzle them prior to serving? If so how long can they sit on the side?
      YES! Wrap the ribs in Aluminum foil, wrap a towel around them, then place them in a cooler, a cheap 7/11 cooler will do. They will hold piping hot for at least 3 or 4 hrs or longer.

I suggest adding to your 'wish list' - a higher end cooler (RTIC or even a YETI) or ? with one of these, you can actually hold your finished meat 8+ hrs ..

Comment

yes definately, faux cambro! Faux is in! I have an electric bike, I still spin the pedals when the electric motor is going 25 mph, I call it faux pedaling!

Comment

As they said above

Comment

AAAAAHHHHAAAAA!!!!

love the easy questions with easy answers....thanks!

Comment

Ditto!

Comment

Then, if you want to sauce the ribs, once the sides are done brush the ribs and finish them on the hot grill.

Comment

If I am holding ribs, I like to use a foil tray with a cooling rack on the bottom of the pan. Then I lay the ribs on the rack and cover the pan with foil. Slide the pan into a warm oven/warming drawer or large cooler and you are good to go.

I find that wrapping them tight in foil causes them to be mushy when you go to eat them. I find that if I use the method I mentioned above, I have much firmer ribs, with better bark retention, and better "right off the pit" flavor.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that a disclaimer at the bottom? LOL
                    Actually your suggestion is really a good one for all types of meat, saves bark. Good idea!!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I guess not needed. It does seem to save the bark. Troutman

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here